big block or smalla block

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizzerd

hi everyone

i bought a "big block" 429 from a guy for cheap. he said it runs and when i did the compression test it wanted to start. but some of my buddy told me it may be a small block, how can i tell if its a big block or a small block

any help would be awesome

thanks curt

An easy way to tell is the valve covers,BBC have wider and rounder corners generally where the SBC have narrower, squarer covers.

ccrp-1110-05-o%2B1965-big-block-chevrolet-chevelle%2B427-engine.jpg

sucp_1002_15%2Bsmall_block_chevy_accessories%2Bblack_engine_accessories.jpg

Top view of a 429
Yours is not a small block
As smallfoot said, get the numbers cause numbers don't lie. Except on most of the Corvette engines out there [ddd
429engine.jpg

The clue is that on one of them the distributor is on the wrong end :rolleyes: I'm not sure what it is but what isn't is a small block" ford". [S

My guess is it's a 429 or a 460, because it has seven bolts holding the tappet covers on and that tells me what family the motor is from. It's definitely not a small block Ford or an FE Ford. So you're laughing all the way to the bank, because the distributor's in the front; that's all that matters.

Thanks guys!

call me a new guy but where can i find the block numbers on it?

Block numbers are down under near the starter. It is definitely a 429 or 460. The other way to tell is to pull the oil pan. The crank will tell you whether it's a 429 or 460. Also look at the casting numbers on the outer edge of the heads ,right below the Edge of the valve cover. May read something like D3VE-A2A or something similar. If it reads D0VE, then it maybe a 70 or 71 429. If it reads D2VE, it is a 72 model 429. Most early 460's after 72 used the D3VE heads. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back