Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks fellers

I "drove" it a little yesterday, when I forgot I replaced the tee on the front brakes and knocked it into reverse.

taillight brackets, pattern from the other times I have done this. wired em up and did a couple other things under there too.

IMG_2601 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2614 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

for the front turn signals this truck had one smashed housing, so I bought some 47 ford parking lights, but i just couldnt get enamored with the size and shape.
IMG_2604 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I remembered I had a spare GMC housing on the shelf so I dug out the replacement lenses and gaskets at the same time. the bulbs are only single filament and I like LED anyway so I bought some cheap CREE button lights with park/turn. they were just slightly too small for the opening but a washer drilled to fit took care of that. between the three housings I had enough to install them, but one of the rings still has some damage. I have a spare, somewhere.

IMG_2606 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2607 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2612 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2616 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

no bumpers yet. trying like hell to have the truck presentable for christmas pictures with the family so tomorrow is probably full push interior.

the "drive" was a roll backward frantically stabbing the brakes I forgot I havent bled till I ran into dads truck :rolleyes:

for those wondering how the 54-59 LED tails light up

IMG_2646 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

some interior work, got the seat mounted with some fender washers and bolts from the bottom side with a tack to hold them

IMG_2652 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2653 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

jute first, then carpet. I use super 77 to keep everything in place

IMG_2654 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2657 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2661 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I always leave the door off till the seat is in, ever since I nicked a seat on a door. but now its time for the door. this cab never had one, I bought a replacement. using a tap to clean threads is usually a chore.

IMG_2662 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

top bolted but bottom hinge isnt even close. I think one or both may be bent. I will try adjusting tomorrow

IMG_2663 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

have to pull the glass to install the new channel, rolled the window up and its cracked. I didnt order glass for this side because I thought it was ok.

IMG_2664 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tomorrow another work day, looks like I could maybe shoot christmas pictures with it after all.

merry christmas!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 43
thanks for all the merry wishes, christmas is my favorite holiday aside from the 4th of july, so I was really happy to have the truck in the yard.

I thought I took more pictures, but the following is all I have, it was all asses and elbows in the shop for a couple days. last time I needed to adjust the hinge, I found that the top hinge was level but the bottom hinge had a tilt to it. I persuaded it back into place with a big length of pipe, and it all fit

IMG_2674 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2673 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I debated waiting on the window channel replacement, one reason was the cracked glass, I would need to take it back out to replace it. but I wanted the stainless trim on the door, and that is literally the last thing to come out, it goes

remove inner window trim
remove screws in window frame (drill them out is more likely because the clutch heads dont want to budge after almost 70 years)
turn window sideways in frame and lift out
remove screws in channel and remove channel
remove old dried wiper from outer side of glass. it will be hard and a pain, best way I found is to use a 1/8" drill bit in a cordless, and hold it at 45 degrees, it will chew up the old rubber and let you remove it.

IMG_2679 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
if you are changing to stainless like me, remove outer window trim, there may be a couple additional screws in behind the channel. if you arent changing the outside trim, then just leave the trim installed.

IMG_2675 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then install is reverse. a few tips.

install the new channel by using the old channel as a length guide to trim the new. this is important because way down in the bottom of the door, there are little clips that hold the bottoms of the channel, so make sure it slides into the clips. and instead of trying to get the screws in the right spot or drilling new holes, I use a dab of fuse-it at the top and sides.
install the new wiper. this is the hardest part, because the channel is roughly a C but the wiper rubber is a T. so you have to put the long side of the T in the C, then use a flat bladed screwdriver to tap the short side of the T in. a mm at a time. it sucks, tap tap tap. tap tap tap.

IMG_2681 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

you put the channel in first because the wiper is longer than it needs to be too, and you dont know the right size till the channel is in.

turn the window front side down at a 45 degree angle and slip it in the new channel. once you have both sides in the channel, use your big boy muscles and rotate the window to straight. its not impossible, it will feel like it doesnt want to go but if you do it the way I say, with the window starting at 45 degrees and the front side down, it will turn and pop and its in.
if you had to drill out the screws like I did, its pretty easy to replace them with new screws and then I always drill an 1/8 hole through the frame and the regulator and put one extra screw in, in case all the machine screws fall out

IMG_2682 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the new window felts come with new inside wiper pieces that are stapled to the inner trims. I dont even mess with staples, I grind the old staples off with a flap disc and fuse-it the new felts.

so funny story, I was really humping to get things done and sure enough I got both sides "done" and noticed the new wiper for the passenger side still on the hood, after everything was assembled. it was 11pm sunday, surely no one would miss.... ah crud I know what I have to do. I took it all apart and put it in, quietly, tap tap tap. tap tap tap. tap tap tap.

christmas eve I woke up early and bled the brakes, changed out the headllight bulbs (half were green tinted), hooked up the parking lights, and rolled him into the yard.

IMG_2690 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

my wife thought it needed more lights, on Christmas eve everything was already 66% off, so I hooked it up with a couple LED light sets and even some LED spotlights

IMG_2742.HEIC by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0749 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

whats left? most of the interior seals and headliner, the two hubcaps are just double side taped on haha. rear window and bumpers, wipers and mirrors. gauges. *sigh*.

but it was a big hit! a lot of our guests took pictures in the yard with it. and my photographer neice wants to borrow it for some santa shoots

Latest posts

Back