6 volt help please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodron

Drives the Batmobile... er... Ratmobile!
:confused:I just bought a 1950 Chrysler Windsor and it hasn't been converted to 12 volts. When I bought it, it was very hard to start, but finally did. Now it won't start at all. The engine turns over, but seems to be a little sluggish. The original battery (the one in it when I bought it) tested fine, but the problem seemed like a dead battery. I put in a new battery today, and still have the same problem. I was getting spark on all but the last plug and the plugs were in awful shape. I got new plugs and replaced them all. I am now getting spark on all plugs. I am getting fuel, because I can smell it and see it in the fuel bowl when trying to start it. I had been using starting fluid to start it the first few times when it was still at the previous owner's home, but I am not now. Now the previous owner had the battery on a constant charge while we were working on it, and the only way we could start it was by using a 100 amp boost from the charger. Is it possible that it was over charged and the excessive voltage caused the distributor points to burn? If so would I see this effect? My next move is to replace the points and distibutor cap and try that. Also I am unsure of the condition of the coil. I have never owned a vehicle that was still running a 6 volt system, but I can't imagine there would be that big a difference in how things work. I was told by someone that this car runs a "positive ground" system and I am unsure what this is also... If anyone has any idea what my problem may be, I could really use the help. Again this is a 1950 Chrysler Windsor with the "spitfire" 6 cylinder. Thanks :confused:

check the battery ground strap , remove it were it attaches to the frame and check for corrosion , sand it clean and put some grease there to help keep the corrosion away , try that in addition to giving it a good tune up .....24

thanks. I'll give that a shot. i have called all the local parts stores and even summit racing and noone stocks any parts for this car except spark plugs....but I spoke with someone else who gave me a number of a shop that repairs towmotors. well long story short, my engine is the same engine that is in a towmotor! LOL whatever brand this towmotor is, it comes with the exact same engine as my car and I can get any part I might need from this place. how funny is that.

Don`t laugh at that engine , it is probably the best flathead six ever built , it owns all of the current Bonneville records in the XO & XXO class , all at around 150 mph , pretty darn good for a flathead 6.......24

no kidding! wow i had no idea. well i'm glad to hear that. i don't think mine will be braking any records any time soon, but maybe I'll get her running a little better.

The most important thing on 6 volt is the grounding. Make sure the ground is solid. And an extra from the motor to the frame does not hurt. Also the cable from the battery to the starter should be a heavy gauge, generally the bigger the better.
There is lots of speed stuff still around for the Mopar flatheads. You might check out inliners.org. Mopar made that six up till the 60's when it was replaced by the slant six, which is also a work horse.

By the way you can also replace the six volt battery with an 8 volt and not have to change anything else. I presume 8 volts are still available, you would have to go to a battery store to get one. I doubt if the local Checker or Autozone would have one.

You say it was converted to 12 volts, but what was actually done? It should have a 12v. coil, and a ballast resister in the wire to the coil. Anything else will cook the points in no time.
The Chrysler 6 was one of the most common industrial engines of all time, farm tractors and combines had them, as well as cement mixers and even air-raid sirens.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I removed the ground cable and sanded it down pretty good and bolted it back down. I shot a little starting fluid in the carb and turned the key and she slowly started up!!! Ran great after it heated up and the choke opened up some. Turned it off and restarted it just fine. Tried a few more times last night before coming in to go to bed and every time it started right up. I just got home from work today and the first thing I did before I even came in the house was go over and give it a try. I didn't even touch the gas pedal, just turned the key and she fired right up first shot! Unbelievable. That ground cable looked fine. It didn't have any corrosion on it and was nice and tight. What a difference cleaning it up made though. I picked up the cap and rotor from the towmotor repair shop today and I'm gonna throw that on tonight. The car has 67K miles and it looks like none of that stuff under the hood has ever been replaced. Also someone else mentioned that about the 8v battery to me. I told them that it seemed sluggish when starting and I was told that is the nature of a 6v system. They said an 8v battery would improve that issue. I'm definately gonna look in to finding one. Thanks again for the help. I'll check out that inliners.org tonight and if anyone knows of any other sites that may have info or parts on this motor I'd be greatful to hear about them.:D

Latest posts

Back