Self Serve Auto Shop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey for those of you in the Chicago area,
Self Serve Auto Shop
Recently opened in Minooka, Illinois

This is a fully equipped auto shop where you (the average guy/gal or tech) can rent a hoist, flat stall or welding stall by the hour, 1/2 day, full day or week.

You can build your ride here, fix it or just wash it.

Check out www.selfserveautoshop.com

Thanks guys,
Jim

all RRR members receive 30% off and if you're a vet take another 10% off.

Stop by on Thursday evenings for Thunder Thursdays; cool tunes, cold pop and loud pipes.

This is a great idea. Kudos to you guys for doing it.

By the way, do ya allow any smokin' in there or do I have to take my butts out in the junkyard? [ddev

RobertProsky-123.jpg

my first thought was Christine

is there a junk yard out back? that would be awesome! I like the idea always thought rentable space would be a good idea around a bigger city

Thought about something like that....

Hey for those of you in the Chicago area,
Self Serve Auto Shop
Recently opened in Minooka, Illinois

This is a fully equipped auto shop where you (the average guy/gal or tech) can rent a hoist, flat stall or welding stall by the hour, 1/2 day, full day or week.

You can build your ride here, fix it or just wash it.

Check out www.selfserveautoshop.com

Thanks guys,
Jim
I assume this is your shop??
checked into the liability insurance and it was astronomical..... how did you manage that aspect??

It took me 4 months just to find an insurance writer to do it.

I don't have a junk yard out back, but my father-in-law's junk yard is about 5 minutes away.

Yep, I own it.

Guys you can do everything here except paint. I'm getting ready to bring over my jig so you can even build a chassis.

Sheet metal brake and bead roller is on the way too.

I saved a guy over $1100 last week on a repair.

In the 50's and 60's there were quite a few shops that would rent you a spot or use of the lift to work on your own car. As sgtpontiac mentioned, insurance costs caused most of those to go away. In this sue happy society, no one takes responsibility for themselves and if they get hurt they automatically seek out Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.

In fact, the metal shop we used for years used to let you go back and rummage through the cut offs and sell you those at a reduced cost. Then some jerk hurt himself and sued them, so now NOBODY but employees are allowed back there. :mad:

Hope this venture works out for you. :)

Don

Thanks Don for wishes, I'm incorporated and a release must be signed and I hope something like this won't happen. We're about 45 miles outside of Chicago just on the edge of corn, I'm hoping this environment will be less sue happy and there is a huge car loving population here. We're about 10 miles from a drag strip and nascar track.

shop

Back in the 60s and early 70s we had this type of set-up on base. Rent the stall,tools,and had descent automotive manuals available to. Good luck with the shop.[cl

Latest posts

Back