OK.....have a chance to buy some Buick

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtpontiac

Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'
Nailhead motors..... 4 or 5 of them....never really been into the buick but I know they make cool RR motors...supposedly they all run..anybody know what I should pay for them??? Have not seen them but the kid came home last night and said the guy wants to "get rid of them"....just want to know what to offer so I don't offend the guy.....[S

Nailhead motors..... 4 or 5 of them....never really been into the buick but I know they make cool RR motors...supposedly they all run..anybody know what I should pay for them??? Have not seen them but the kid came home last night and said the guy wants to "get rid of them"....just want to know what to offer so I don't offend the guy.....[S

Typically $350-$450 round these parts. I paid $450 for my 425ci but that also included tranny. They are not cheap to rebuild though but running would be kool for a ratty!!! They came in 264, 322, 364, 401 & 425! Get some!!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V8_engine

BoB

all righty then!! Thank you gentlemen....

the kid is supposed to be going over there after work tonight....I'll let you know what transpires..... sure hope this pans out better than the F100's I never got....[P

Quick question....

Typically $350-$450 round these parts. I paid $450 for my 425ci but that also included tranny. They are not cheap to rebuild though but running would be kool for a ratty!!! They came in 264, 322, 364, 401 & 425! Get some!!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V8_engine

BoB

the 401 and 425's....didn't they use them in the 63/64 wildcats with dual quads?

the 401 and 425's....didn't they use them in the 63/64 wildcats with dual quads?
Yea Sarge but there were more single fours than anything, dual quads were really neat [cl
We got a 425 out of 64 here for $250 couple months ago with tranny but a more common price is $350 to $450
I wouldn't offer over $250 ea if you buy all of them at same time :)

Jim

10-4..... maybe I can get a "package" deal....

Yea Sarge but there were more single fours than anything, dual quads were really neat [cl
We got a 425 out of 64 here for $250 couple months ago with tranny but a more common price is $350 to $450
I wouldn't offer over $250 ea if you buy all of them at same time :)

Jim

Nothing ventured......nothing gained...

They came in 264, 322, 364, 401 & 425! Get some!!! :D BoB

Yeah what Tripper said, get'em! And yes those are the cubes I'm familiar with, I'm no expert by any means but it is worth mentioning that while they look alike there are two groups (264, 322, 364) and (401, 425)

Jim

......yes there were dual quad Wildcats and they were definitely COOL!
If one were to look around at all the clutter that is 'my garage' you might spot a Buick dual quad intake :D

buick2X4intake.jpg

......that's how I found about the different Nailheads :eek: I had a '57 Special with a 364 and Dynaflow at the time I acquired this intake....I was all excited to put it on and even had some carbs lined up but then found out it didn't bolt up :( So there it hangs looking pretty and waiting for a 401 or 425 to fall in my lap.........who knows, my next rat rod build might start with this intake :cool:

I'm no expert by any means but it is worth mentioning that while they look alike there are two groups (264, 322, 364) and (401, 425)

Yeah... small blocks & big blocks. Most 2x4's were on Riv GS's but they didn't make many of those. The price of those setups would blow u're mind. Congrats on that manifold SF!!! The 1x4's were called a Wildcat 445's (445 ft lbs), the 2x4's were called "Super Wildcat" 465's (465 ft lbs)! Just remember... they were hauling around a BIG ol Buick!!! My Dad had a gold '59 Buick hardtop with those monster fins that went on for weeks! That thing would really suck some highway as well as a LOT of cheap leaded gas! Even had automatic headlite dimmers! WHAT a car!!! Give anything to have it today!

BoB

Got an appointment to see these motors on Sat....

Yeah... small blocks & big blocks. Most 2x4's were on Riv GS's but they didn't make many of those. The price of those setups would blow u're mind. Congrats on that manifold SF!!! The 1x4's were called a Wildcat 445's (445 ft lbs), the 2x4's were called "Super Wildcat" 465's (465 ft lbs)! Just remember... they were hauling around a BIG ol Buick!!! My Dad had a gold '59 Buick hardtop with those monster fins that went on for weeks! That thing would really suck some highway as well as a LOT of cheap leaded gas! Even had automatic headlite dimmers! WHAT a car!!! Give anything to have it today!

BoB
gotta work all week including T-Day.....double time so can't complain....I'll still go home for dinner anyway....lol
I'll let you all know on Monday.....(or sunday if I can get on the computer at home)..I'm not sure my kid knows what a "nailhead" looks like but when I showed him some pic's he says that the valve covers are all straight up and down and they look like the photos....so we will see..stay tuned...If these things are decent I'll grab them up...[P

Grab them if you can. I would let him say a price first, you might get them cheaper than you think, especially if he wants them gone and you take all of them.

Nailheads are super sweet motors and just look so good in a hot rod.:)

Don

I agree with Don, let the guy shoot you a price first, you never know it could be lower than you expect and you might be able to negotiate from there.

Thanks for the suggestions....

I usually let them shoot a price then bargain it from there.... this guy is sort of car suavy..so I don't expect it to be super low....You guys will be the first to know.....after me and the kid....:D

Small block Buicks

The valve covers on the little aluminum Buick 215 V8 (61-63), 300 Buick V8 (64-67) and 340 Buick V8 (66-67) are also straight up and down, as well as all early Buick ODD-Fire V6's, including the Willys-Jeep era Dauntless V6's.

Easy way to ID the small Buicks - the 300 and 340 have the standard BOP bellhousing pattern and almost evenly spaced exhaust ports (like a small block Ford, I guess). All have the distributor in the front, unlike "real" Nailheads. The 215 is all aluminum, but has a unique bellhousing pattern. V6's are missing two cylinders :rolleyes:

Even these engines are good for a project, but not worth Nailhead money.

Good luck and keep us posted!

440shorty

"Supposedly run" is dubious at best. If you can't hear an engine run and it is not apart for inspection, don't pay much more than scrap price. Consider it a core, and likely cracked. Buy what you see, not what you hope for. Nailheads are cool but VERY expensive to rebuild. Keep that in mind when pricing as well. Good luck!

10-4 on that.....

I'm a bit familiar with the overall looks of the nailhead.... but the distributor thing is something I had forgotten...believe it or not, I actually did some work on the little 215 as a kid in the gas stations....I did dig up some shots off the net of the various ones and will use it as a guide....also, will pull a plug or two on each side and use my bore scope and check the insides of each...that and make sure that there is little if any water in the crankcase....normal "can't hear em run" stuff....:D

"Supposedly run" is dubious at best. If you can't hear an engine run and it is not apart for inspection, don't pay much more than scrap price. Consider it a core, and likely cracked. Buy what you see, not what you hope for. Nailheads are cool but VERY expensive to rebuild. Keep that in mind when pricing as well. Good luck!

B.E.D has a good point. I recently bought a "50,000 mile 1994 Ford reman 351 roller cam motor" for a Mustang I am building for myself. He wanted $600 and I offered $400 and got it for that. When I tore it down it must have had a rough 50,000 miles on it as the cam was so tight inside I had to make a puller to get it out. I figured going in it was a core and that is what I got, so it is now in the machine shop getting about $ 1000.00 worth of machining to make it right. So plan on those nailheads being the same and offer accordingly.

Don

Latest posts

Back