What do you guys think?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Ok, I am going back together with a fresh 460 . I need to break in the cam, but have anxiety attacts when I think about the possibility of any leaks or any other issues after break in. My plan was to install the motor and break it in. Now, I'm thinking maybe building a stout engine stand that would get my motor about 3" off the floor, and hook the radiator and all accessories up like it was in the car. I have some old core drill stands that are made from 2" box tubing, and could fab something in about 2 hours to bolt the motor mounts to. Then, I could just sit the tail shaft of the tranny on some blocks, and let er rip. I have a good floor fan to blow thru the radiator. Just thinking this may be the best way to break in the motor and give me a chance to catch any leaks if any. It's going into the 69 Fairlane man is not an easy chore to pull the motor like it was on my 48 f1

Its always a good idea to run an eng in before an install. Build your stand /device with rollers so you can move it around.
For instrumentation ,all you need is oil press and temp. .Hook up a solenoid and basic wiring and you are ready to go.
A friend has one that he built. After using it he has improved on some things. Works well.

I am somewhat limited on space. But, if I set it at the front of my shop with a good floor fan blowing they the radiator I think I will be fine. It will also give me a chance to make sure the tranny is full of fluid while running. Should be fine putting the tranny in neutral while running. That way the fluid will circulate. I was thinking earlier. I believe I can make me a good mount that will actually un pin from the base of my engine hoist. All I need is a pin on brace between the two legs, and two angled tubes for my motor mounts ,that will also be easily unbolted form the base. I think I'm on to something here.

Don't hook up the torque converter, you will burn up the pump bushing if you do not circulate fluid in the transmission.
I find that the amount of work to put it in the car is actually less than running it on a test stand. You can check the fan to radiator clearance, break-in the transmission and be able to drive it away.......

weld on........[;)

Don't hook up the torque converter, you will burn up the pump bushing if you do not circulate fluid in the transmission.
I find that the amount of work to put it in the car is actually less than running it on a test stand. You can check the fan to radiator clearance, break-in the transmission and be able to drive it away.......

weld on........[;)

Hey Rick. I thought by putting the tranny in neutral and running the motor fluid will circulate through the tranny and cooling lines. I had planned on pre filling the torque converter with fluid prior to running the whole thing. Thoughts?

I like the idea of breaking in the cam on a test stand, and making one that breaks down for storage is a way cool idea!!!! Most of the ones I've seen or been around are done without the trans hooked to the engine, I understand your reason for wanting this, but just make sure you're circulating fluid, and don't dump it all out the tailshaft and all over the floor/driveway, what a mess!!!! I think you're correct in putting it in neutral and filling it with fluid to run it. good luck and post some pics if you make a test stand, might wanna snag some ideas!!!!

I like the idea of breaking in the cam on a test stand, and making one that breaks down for storage is a way cool idea!!!! Most of the ones I've seen or been around are done without the trans hooked to the engine, I understand your reason for wanting this, but just make sure you're circulating fluid, and don't dump it all out the tailshaft and all over the floor/driveway, what a mess!!!! I think you're correct in putting it in neutral and filling it with fluid to run it. good luck and post some pics if you make a test stand, might wanna snag some ideas!!!!

Yep, I'm thinking most of the test stand is already there. All I have to do is add some other components for the motor to sit on.

you won't hurt the trans as long as it's got fluid in it when you start it, even in park.

any time the converter is spinning it is driving the pump, and that will lube all the bearings and bushings.

also you have to connect a line from the cooler outlet to the cooler inlet on the trans, as this is the circuit that distributes the ATF to the main bushings.

if I remember right, you check fluid level in park, not neutral on a C-6.

you may want to stick a front yoke in the tail shaft to keep fluid from squirting out there.

you won't hurt the trans as long as it's got fluid in it when you start it, even in park.

any time the converter is spinning it is driving the pump, and that will lube all the bearings and bushings.

also you have to connect a line from the cooler outlet to the cooler inlet on the trans, as this is the circuit that distributes the ATF to the main bushings.

if I remember right, you check fluid level in park, not neutral on a C-6.

you may want to stick a front yoke in the tail shaft to keep fluid from squirting out there.

Yep,I plan on hooking up the cooler to the tranny, and that should take care of that.thanks

Latest posts

Back