Got the air plumbed in the barn....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtpontiac

Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'
I now have air throughout the shop....won't know what to do if I'm not tripping over hoses.... used a hand threader to make the lengths I needed...I used black pipe....no PVC...considered galvanized but since I had a crap ton of 3/4" black pipe already, I only needed to buy 5 more 10' lengths to finish....that and T's, connectors and air fittings...I've got 4 down tubes total with ball valve drains, 6 air fittings/couplers and one into the storage area thru the wall...ran them so the water will drain back to the down/drain tubes...works darn well....had water issues even with the filter and seperator but now nothing at the hose no matter what....I'll get some pic's posted....have about 200 bucks invested in everything....would have been more had i not had 45' of pipe already...had a ton of hose, made a few 25' lengths and then one 50' length for running in the work area which will go anywhere I need it in the storage area..... :D

Cool. I always planned to use blue PVC, then a bunch of people on the forum told me not to, but galvanised pipe is readily available here, so I'll use some of that.

Tomorrow I'll snap a few pics....

I would think that galvanized would overall be better since water is an issue for most of us....but I did make sure to run the pipe on a slight downhill run to the down tubes/drains...hoping it would catch the moisture....I can tell it's working as the first down pipe catches the majority of it as it's close to the compressor flex pipe..then the second one has a small amount and the third and fourth don't have any...so it's working well.....I used the sand blaster off the last air coupler and normally the water filter/trap has to be drained about every 2 or 3 minutes when I ran it directly off the compressor fitting...it had zero water in it after 15 minutes of use off the new line....:D ....so I am very happy.....

Yeah...it should be....

Cool, It is nice to have air in diferent location in the shop.

The older I get it seems the air hoses seem to get bigger around and I can't seem to step over them..LOL..should keep me from having to dodge them...Tomorrow I actually get to use them (hopefully) and get back to work on the Thing....[cl

a few shots of the new air lines....

Sorry, thought I could get them in sooner.....for whatever it's worth...:D

Attachments

• Air lines 4.jpg
    Air lines 4.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 45
  • air lines 5.jpg
    air lines 5.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Air lines 1.jpg
    Air lines 1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 45
That looks good and you won't be worrying about it exploding on you. :D We did our down pipes exactly like you did yours and they really let out some moisture when you crank them open, but hold your ears. I have almost ruptured mine a couple of times from the loud wooshing sound. :eek: I use that sound sometimes to chase the stray cats out of the shop when we are ready to leave for the night and don't want them trapped inside. :D

Don

LMAO!!

That looks good and you won't be worrying about it exploding on you. :D We did our down pipes exactly like you did yours and they really let out some moisture when you crank them open, but hold your ears. I have almost ruptured mine a couple of times from the loud wooshing sound. :eek: I use that sound sometimes to chase the stray cats out of the shop when we are ready to leave for the night and don't want them trapped inside. :D

Don

They do "overwhelm" the ear drums if you crack them open....just about scare most everything out.....the one by the compressor seems to catch it all so the others are just further insurance....Thanks Don....

And yes Rainman, I really have been out there,:D I got so bored with the filler detail on the roof....that I take a break by doing something else...got the fillers tacked in to shave the door handles and I'm working on the grill...trying to lay out those 62 olds headlamp housing and buckets and what I'll use for the phantom grill...(material that is)..so I'm actually getting a little done, just bored with the body work/filler....:( Then there is the issue of how to lay out those nice new louver panels on the hood that CC made me....:D

Nice improvement. I did mine in PVC, my compressor is in the garage and when we trenched for the eletric I dropped in sme pvc pipe for air. My shop is small so I only have one drop with two fittings.

I hat thought about the PVC route but....

Nice improvement. I did mine in PVC, my compressor is in the garage and when we trenched for the eletric I dropped in sme pvc pipe for air. My shop is small so I only have one drop with two fittings.

all the horror stories kept me heading in this direction....it's really nice not having to run air hose all over the place, and the moisture is gone at the end of the hose...so that I like a lot....I can run the blast cabinet or any air tool endlessly without any signs of moisture at the hose....still have to use seperator/filter for painting but before, it would have been very bad!!!:eek:..I like it a lot....I've got a number of guys around me that use the PVC...but I hate surprises so didn't go that route....

I worked in a wood shop 20 years ago that had PVC and some thing was always getting broke about 2 times a week. you would realy have to be doing something wrong to break that.

Like drive a truck thru it???? LOL

I used 3/4" because I had 46ft of it I got for free...all I had to do was thread it....so I bought 50ft more and came up with exactly the amount I needed...which for me is unusual because I normally either figure way to high or come up short!!... this time, I was on the money....thank God...:D

Latest posts

Back