Quick & dirty (and cheap) frame rotisserie.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2.3Turbo_T

Now that the frame is built I needed to find a way to get it into the backyard for blasting. I also needed easy access to the underside and I was tired of fighting with my grandson to help me lift/move it. I started thinkin'. I've got a pair of cheap HF engine stands. One I've had since the 80's and the other I picked up on CL (brand new) for $10 for just such an occasion as this.

P3300001_zps6b3218c9.jpg

Build materials include the stands, a chunk of scrap steel and 1/2 a stick of 1" square tubing.

I built some front and rear structures, welded them to the rails and bolted the ends to the engine stand heads.

P4020010_zps1f8d7a9c.jpg

P4020019_zps3ac73478.jpg

P4020009_zps801fe2fa.jpg

P4030003_zps6081bddd.jpg

Had to make some mods to the stands. The main bars comes from the factory at a 30* angle.

P3310003_zps18181064.jpg

I cut 'em off, trued and leveled 'em to a 90* angle. I added removable support bars (for breakdown purposes) and I removed the fixed casters and added turning casters so I could steer the beast!

P4030008_zpscacc1c8f.jpg

I was gonna add a length of tubing between the stands but it turned out not to be necessary. The whole thing is very stable and balanced! Built the contraption in a day and it cost me virtually nothing 'cause I used materials I had on hand. I greased the inside of the engine stand heads and this thing spins super easy and it's very easy to roll around! Simple to put together. If I can do it, anybody can!

P4030004_zpsa75496f9.jpg

P4030005_zpsfb0dc129.jpg

P4030006_zpscd43ea43.jpg

I've been thinking of doing this, thanks for doing the hard work[;) I need to spin my el camino body, think it will handle it [S

I've been thinking of doing this, thanks for doing the hard work[;) I need to spin my el camino body, think it will handle it [S

My frame is only a couple of hundred pounds, if that. For the ElCo body I'd suggest a couple of 4-wheeled engine stands. They're a dime a dozen on CL.

Yes, that is a good idea for sure! Just have to be careful rolling over the frame, I know my one engine stand has a set screw to provide some locking means, or resistance to turning when there is weight on the stand...

What a freakin brilliant idea! I got a couple in the shed. Hahahaha excellent job. What ingenuity! You sir, I take my hat off to.

Now that the frame is built I needed to find a way to get it into the backyard for blasting. I also needed easy access to the underside and I was tired of fighting with my grandson to help me lift/move it. I started thinkin'. I've got a pair of cheap HF engine stands. One I've had since the 80's and the other I picked up on CL (brand new) for $10 for just such an occasion as this.

Had to make some mods to the stands. The main bars comes from the factory at a 30* angle.

I cut 'em off, trued and leveled 'em to a 90* angle. I added removable support bars (for breakdown purposes) and I removed the fixed casters and added turning casters so I could steer the beast!

I was gonna add a length of tubing between the stands but it turned out not to be necessary. The whole thing is very stable and balanced! Built the contraption in a day and it cost me virtually nothing 'cause I used materials I had on hand. I greased the inside of the engine stand heads and this thing spins super easy and it's very easy to roll around! Simple to put together. If I can do it, anybody can!

I cut out the pics of your stands for brevity, but I want to ask a question, being the total newb that I am. Not having any experience with rotisseries, I was wondering if its a common thing to tack-weld the rotisserie to the frame? has anyone simply clamped or bolted the fixture to teh frames with any measure of success? I'm just speaking my thoughts here based on what I have observed so far.

Anyone, please chime in?

Kibby, I took the idea and modified a set of stands to do my el camino body. It's bolted on and works great. I had to raise it to 48 inches to get the body to turn full circle, not problem at this point. in the front I made and X frame work to mount the original engine bracket and on the rear I drill through body panel. check the pix and as any questions. I'm guessing the body is about 1000 pounds [S
spr0168_zpsa61e563b.jpg

spr0172_zpsd7e69ed8.jpg

spr0176_zpsc16a7adf.jpg

good luck with the project[;)

I cut out the pics of your stands for brevity, but I want to ask a question, being the total newb that I am. Not having any experience with rotisseries, I was wondering if its a common thing to tack-weld the rotisserie to the frame? has anyone simply clamped or bolted the fixture to teh frames with any measure of success? I'm just speaking my thoughts here based on what I have observed so far.

Anyone, please chime in?

Sorry for the late response, I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks. It would probably be better to have bolted the structures to the frame. In fact, I'm gonna do just that this weekend! My frame is already off the rotiserrie and I'm mocking up the roadster as we speak. However, it needs to go back on for blasting. Tomorrow, I'm gonna drill and tap for bolts then cut the welds. I designed and built this thing in a day and really didn't think it through like I should have!

Soltz................awesome modification!! Your Elco body is just slightly heavier than my frame but your mod looks very sturdy! Looks like it's working out well! Good thing you used the 4-wheeled stands. The cheap 3-wheelers, like I used would be sketchy at best! Great job!

TurboT, thanks and your right, i used one 3 wheeler and one 4 wheeler and the four wheeler is less wigglie but they both work. [;)

Latest posts

Back