pump location

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebox

I am using a Holly electric fuel pump. My question is how far from the tank can I mount it? I would like to mount it to the rear of the tank so it is in a more accessible location . I tried every thing I know hot to . To post a picture off of photo bucket on to hear but no luck. So if you go back to my build thread and look . It is the lower cross brace that the shock mounts are welded to . That is where I want to put a plate and mount the fuel pump and pre filter to .

General wisdom is to mount it as close to the tank as possible and slightly lower so it will prime. Also, use a good filter before the pump, one that is designed to work with electric pumps. Wrong filter can cause the pump to work too hard to draw gas through it.

Don

General wisdom is to mount it as close to the tank as possible and slightly lower so it will prime. Also, use a good filter before the pump, one that is designed to work with electric pumps. Wrong filter can cause the pump to work too hard to draw gas through it.

Don

What Don said and I would add a shut off valve before the filter. That way you can shut the fuel off in order to change that filter.

Get a fuel pressure regulator also, 7psi max for carbed applications. Filter before pump and before carb. Best of luck to you

Install a return line so pump doesn't sit there and deadhead under pressure.
The pump will last longer too.

Just curios, Can you put a tee fitting in the suction line from the tank for your return or does it have to go into a different fitting in the tank?

Thanks for the advice . More questions now. I got a filter with the pump. here is where I want to mount it. right between the shocks.It will be lower than the tank. [/IMG]
20140902_220520_zpsd110520b.jpg
[/URL]
20140902_220448_zpse09a1ce1.jpg
[/URL]

I was wrong I have a mallory pump and filter. It is for a carbureted motor . So do I still need a regulator ?

Old Iron , How do I put a return in ?
RPM ,The shut off is a good idea I will be putting one in .
Thanks

This is probably the easiest way.

fuelpumpplumbing.jpg

I go all the way to the Y at the carb before I start the return line back to the tank. This keeps fresh fuel at the carb that way.

FuelSupplyRetrunSystem-2.jpg

Just curios, Can you put a tee fitting in the suction line from the tank for your return or does it have to go into a different fitting in the tank?
Hi kenny, no on the suction side, it has to go on the pressure side of the system and a different fitting in the tank.

By the way, the return line can be smaller than the supply line.
I like to use 1/2" supply lines and 1/4" to 3/8" return lines.

I know some people run a return line, but I never have. Just a personal preference thing.

RPM is right about the shut off valve though, it makes changing filters and replacing a pump so much easier.

Don

I believe what he wanted to know regarding the "T" in the suction line was, can he return the fuel to the suction line. I suppose you could, but it would defeat the advantage of cooling the fuel. It's also a good idea to return the fuel in a manner in which it doesn't introduce air bubbles into the area you are picking up the fuel from.

Then again maybe that's not what he was asking.

Latest posts

Back