HELP! chevy 6cyl carb problems!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1963hoopty

I need some help guys. I got my car runnin after 10 yrs and im having carb issues. It loads up REAL bad idiling but u can rev it up and it cleans out an sounds good. The carb is really clean but i checked the float bowl and made sure the jets werent clogged. I put it back on an runs the same. The carb is a carter yf 4376s. I think its a truck carb im runnin on my 230 6. It sounds great when u put it to the wood but idles terrible! Any help is much appreciated!

Junk in the idle circuits....or

I need some help guys. I got my car runnin after 10 yrs and im having carb issues. It loads up REAL bad idiling but u can rev it up and it cleans out an sounds good. The carb is really clean but i checked the float bowl and made sure the jets werent clogged. I put it back on an runs the same. The carb is a carter yf 4376s. I think its a truck carb im runnin on my 230 6. It sounds great when u put it to the wood but idles terrible! Any help is much appreciated!

float level, vacuum leak, timing, but I'd guess crusty stuff in the idle circuit...as it's the most sensitive to the crud... JMHO....I'd do a complete R&R and go thru it....making sure to clean out all the passages....

Thanks! I suspected the float level cuz it ran out of gas an just before it did it idled and sounded perfect! This carb only had bout 3 or 400 miles on it before i parked it and i ran it outta gas too so it wouldnt gum up. Does anyone know the specs for setting the float and any other adjustments i need to do?

dont guess I ever set the float by specs I just filled the bowl up an if the float shut the gas of when it reached between 3/4 and the top it was good .. You may not be shutting off ... blow threw the inlet and pick up the float .. you will see where it shuts off ...this way you know it is actually shutting off the gas . some one on here will find you some specs on it if you already done this ..

I also went thru and cleaned all the passages with a welding tip cleaner. The needle seat under the float was clean and looked good. Theres another needle that is next to the carb body an im not sure how it works. Theres no spring or anything it just sit in the passage. I posted some pics. I cleaned every passage i could find.

Attachments

• IMG_20141223_190546.jpg
    IMG_20141223_190546.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20141223_190633.jpg
    IMG_20141223_190633.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20141223_190640.jpg
    IMG_20141223_190640.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20141223_190741.jpg
    IMG_20141223_190741.jpg