Acetylene to propane conversion?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1934lowboy

Trying to find out some info on switching. I figure some wizards on here have tried it all, so I thought I'd ask! I've seen several threads on other sights about this. I've heard that you can use everything except the tip. I've also heard that you can drill out the center hole of the tip and it will work just fine? I've heard a little about changing hoses and regulators also? If thats the case I can't see the benefit of changing, just bite the bullet and pay for acetylene! I would really appreciate your input on this.Thanks

Talk to the people who sell Acetylene.

I would not drill the tips, and doubt you need to change hoses.

Acetylene tanks have a LH thread, Oxygen has a RH thread.
What about Propane ?

Most propane tips are two piece and set back a little. What type/name is your torch head? I might can find you a part number if I know the name and number of your torch head.

I bought a tip at National Welders. It's a Smiths #2 for $17.75. Gas costs $13 here. Works great, just takes a little longer to heat up. Probably wouldn't work well with some stuff (welding,brassing,etc.) Cut is kind of wild, I think from heating up the area to start the cut. Since the propane is about a 3rd cheaper and lasts about 3 times longer I think I can deal with the rest. Thanks for all the help guys!

Something I learned the other day, a large majority (nearly all) of flammable/fuel gas hoses/fittings are LH thread, and are easily identified by the little notches out of each corner edge of the nut.

It's a sad day when you don't learn nothin'!!!:D

You can't swap'n'go acetylene bottles at the gas station/roadhouse either!!!:cool:

I work at a fab shop and we used propane when we got a new set torchs from victor the only thing we changed was the tips and i think the settings on regulators are different but i like propane better

I work at a fab shop and we used propane when we got a new set torchs from victor the only thing we changed was the tips and i think the settings on regulators are different but i like propane better

Latest posts

Back