First time welder advise

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the responses. I guess i just need try to find some where to get instruction. I cant seem to find anything other than the local community college and haven't spoken with them to see when it is offered and pre-reqs.

Last edited:
When you get good at it, you won't have to grind an arc weld. It will look as good as a mig weld. Grinding is a whole topic in itself. Beveling the two edges before you weld, not grinding too deep, grinding with the frame, not across it. Grinding (then sanding) with smaller and smaller grit, to get those grooves into surface scratches.
There is alot to it.

Saw a cracker box arc welder in the paper the other day for $100 bucks.

Sorry bonehead but what do you mean by a cracker box arc welder? is that a brand or slang for a type?

A cracker box welder is a portable transformer welder for stick welding. They last for years and have nothing to wear out to speak of. Mine now has cracks in the leads it is so old and time to renew those. You can find them at garage/estate sales where the first owner has passed on. The one I have is a Lincoln 180 which is the similar as a 225 without a fan. When you need to weld a frame metal 1/8 or more that is the one to have.
The most important thing as you have discovered from looking at your samples posted is that you can't weld dirt. Always clean and grind the metal to be paint, rust and dirt free. The second thing is save up and buy a good welding helmet that you can see the puddle with. If its too dark to see with or has a cover lens that is pitted your guessing about where your putting down weld and that's not what I want to trust my life on.
Another source of welders are farm sales of tractor supply co.

I bought my hobart 187 220volt mig from a tractor supply store. I caught it on sale for around $600.00. It is a good welder and I think the specs say it will weld up to 5/16 in a single pass although I've never welded over 1/4. Hobart is owned my Miller as well and share many of the parts with a Miller.

I bought my hobart 187 220volt mig from a tractor supply store....

I have the same one, got it at Northern Tool. It will also weld all the way down to 24 guage sheet metal with no problem. I used it on my frame and also paper-thin rusty sheet metal, worked great for both.

thinking of a hobart 187 also. Welding skill aside, is this welder capable of doing frame work?

thinking of a hobart 187 also. Welding skill aside, is this welder capable of doing frame work?

most definitely, specs on it are up to 5/16 steel and like stated above it will weld down to 24 gauge. I use it on 1/4 inch stuff all the time with no problems. I like it because it has 7 heat adjustments that let you find tune it a little better.

LETS WELD..!!!

They just got done wiring my garage for 220 and the new Lincoln has been up-packed and I AM READY TO BURN BABY..... BURN.>!! Picked up the Lincoln from EGAY and now I am ready..!! No more dragging my frame all around town just to get stuff welded.I had bought a 110 but then thought.." I will need to upgrade anyway." So went back it went and got the 220.CANT WAIT..!!

Awesome!! if you don't mind me asking what did it run you to have the 220 put in? i know it will vary by state and bla bla bla but i would like to get a rough guestimate.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back