Fabrication question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

So my truck is on hold because my buddy wants me to resto his old pedal tractor. The problem is the back where the pin for the trailer goes is broken clean off. I have been racking my brain to figure out how to fix this. It is cast so it is a little harder to fab up and have look right. I am just looking for some ideas from the community. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• pedal tractor back.jpg
    pedal tractor back.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 83
If it were me, I would make a oiece that fits into the broken body of the tractor, from mild steel, and mig weld it in. Then make the other half of the upper hitch, also from mild steel and weld that in. MIG will do fine on that cast iron, if you clean it really well, and post heat after welding.

Here is a full picture of the back if that helps. I was worried the cast might be a little brittle because of its age and I don't want to cause anymore damage. Thanks for the help so far.

Attachments

• pedal tractor.jpg
    pedal tractor.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 58
Not sure if this stuff works as well as they show....and it's a bit pricey but if it works...should do the trick.....

I've used their super alloy; but not the silver braze. It does seem pricey, and probably available under another trade name for less. I've had really good luck with the super alloy though. A friend turned me on to it (super alloy) after he had good luck repairing some pot metal parts.

thats good to know.....

I've used their super alloy; but not the silver braze. It does seem pricey, and probably available under another trade name for less. I've had really good luck with the super alloy though. A friend turned me on to it (super alloy) after he had good luck repairing some pot metal parts.

I'm always leary on using stuff that nobody I know has used....thanks

Might not be my first choice, I did use some stuff like this to fix a hole in the bell housing of a 8N tractor.Its like playdo until its hard. can be shaped, sanded,drilled.

0000_MSR_Racing_Quick_Steel_Epoxy_Putty_--.jpg

Your choice on rods or wire but like everyone said, heat it up good before welding, weld it,keep it warm and let it cool slowly. Also helps if you bang on it mildly with a hammer as it cools to help stress relieve it some. It will help keep it from cracking again. Good luck !

Metal repair

Hey mountain. I just read your question about metal repair and the guys have pretty much covered all the options I am familiar with. I wil only add that you were not clear if the cast material is steel, iron or die-cast zinc. This of course will dictate your choice of repair. I will add one more thing and that is to always drill a hole at the end of any crack, if there is one, to prevent the propagation. Good luck and let us know how the repair came out. Steve

Latest posts

Back