Propane cutting tip Alteration?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

Has anyone ever drilled out the end of an acetylene cutting tip to use with propane? Acetylene tip ends are flat and the Propane ones are recessed about 1/16. --Think it'd work? Save me a trip to town.:eek:

I wouldn't mess with it. It requires a lot of flow of propane compared to accetylene. The accetylene tip has about half as many holes as the propane tip and like you said it is recessed. It just wont flow or burn right. besides why ruin an accetylene tip. and take the chance of having something go wrong.

The one I use is fluted and 2 piece like this. Not sure drilling out the holes will work, might start small and work up to best results.

60434-2.jpg

That's what I had to buy. The drilled acetylene tip did kinda sorta work but not enough gas to heat well enough. The counter sunk end kept it from blowing out so bad. The two short cuts on the checker plate were from the drilled tip, the long cut was from the propane tip in about a tenth of the time. If I'da drilled the side holes it should have worked better.. Oh well here's to knowledge.. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• 100_1147.jpg
    100_1147.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_1138.jpg
    100_1138.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back