Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgerman View Post
You can buy these repo trucks cheap with high miles. Saw one this week with the car being towed off the ground. A micro wheel cart supporting the rear of the repo vehicle.
Exactly. We had a mini van repoed several years ago, they took it out of my carport at night with my wife sleeping in the house, she and her folks right across the road never heard or saw a thing. They can back up to one, lift the wheels and take off without ever getting out of the seat.

The ones with the locks punched were probably amateurs, meth heads most likely. They were looking for quick stuff to get and sell. The others were probably a group, with a place to hide and strip them quick or put in a container and ship overseas. Id bet some of them are in Charleston SC or Savannah GA waiting to be put on a ship right now.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'

It's a darn shame that it has to blemish the Power Tour.... shed's a bad light on the whole thing.... it's certainly true that you SHOULDN'T have to take extra ordinary steps to secure your vehicle and make it as theft proof as you can, but I don't really understand why you wouldn't take those steps. Every year you hear about vehicles being stolen. At our Woodard Cruise, vehicles are stolen..even whole trailers are stolen... There is always risk to having your pride and joy out and about... Make it nearly impossible to steal short of hauling it away... you have to at least make an effort. Not chastising the owners just wondering why they didn't make that effort...
Also, if I might add... I wonder how many people in those motel rooms may have noticed something unusual and yet did nothing to notify the police? Happens all the time. People post crap on facebook, twitter and other social media about what they saw, heard or thought they heard...people wonder why the police did nothing.... we did nothing because we didn't find out about those vehicles being stolen until it was reported... hours after they were taken... If you see something report it... you are not inconveniencing us or taking up our time... that's our job to investigate suspicious persons, vehicles and or noises.... call the police if you suspect something is amiss...Ok.. Rant over...
Old 06-20-2019, 10:07 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpontiac View Post
It's a darn shame that it has to blemish the Power Tour.... shed's a bad light on the whole thing.... it's certainly true that you SHOULDN'T have to take extra ordinary steps to secure your vehicle and make it as theft proof as you can, but I don't really understand why you wouldn't take those steps. Every year you hear about vehicles being stolen. At our Woodard Cruise, vehicles are stolen..even whole trailers are stolen... There is always risk to having your pride and joy out and about... Make it nearly impossible to steal short of hauling it away... you have to at least make an effort. Not chastising the owners just wondering why they didn't make that effort...
Also, if I might add... I wonder how many people in those motel rooms may have noticed something unusual and yet did nothing to notify the police? Happens all the time. People post crap on facebook, twitter and other social media about what they saw, heard or thought they heard...people wonder why the police did nothing.... we did nothing because we didn't find out about those vehicles being stolen until it was reported... hours after they were taken... If you see something report it... you are not inconveniencing us or taking up our time... that's our job to investigate suspicious persons, vehicles and or noises.... call the police if you suspect something is amiss...Ok.. Rant over...
What I found silly was that there was a big contradiction in the attitude towards cops during the entire week. There were people very vocal about the expectation that the cops should be doing everything they can to increase patrol during these events and drop everything and investigate the thefts (many loud voices voiced opinions that not enough was being done by the cops). Then on the flip side, every time a car was pulled over or the cops broke up an impromptu illegal street burnout contest they were heckled, booed, and generally harassed. I don't quite understand how people don't seem to realize you can't have it both ways. You want cops to turn a blind eye to Power Tour, but be Johnny-on-the-spot when there's a problem, a little respect goes a long way.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Im gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
What I found silly was that there was a big contradiction in the attitude towards cops during the entire week. There were people very vocal about the expectation that the cops should be doing everything they can to increase patrol during these events and drop everything and investigate the thefts (many loud voices voiced opinions that not enough was being done by the cops). Then on the flip side, every time a car was pulled over or the cops broke up an impromptu illegal street burnout contest they were heckled, booed, and generally harassed. I don't quite understand how people don't seem to realize you can't have it both ways. You want cops to turn a blind eye to Power Tour, but be Johnny-on-the-spot when there's a problem, a little respect goes a long way.
welcome to modern america. i see this every day, as a master mason i rub shoulders with law officers all the time. some of the stories they tell are unreal.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I like Donsrods idea on hiring someone to stand gaurd
Old 06-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
I like Donsrods idea on hiring someone to stand gaurd
Agree. Hired a site watchman for a construction project once. Did not want theft or vandalism pain. Incentive included pizza and RV on site.