'66 Rustang Drip Rail

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4orty9

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EZF&Category_Code=MWH

anyone have experience with this? I'm pretty new to bodywork, I got myself a Lincoln 3200 gas setup, and need to weld some panels and trim on a pretty gnarly 1966 Rustang (yes, I know, OT... WAHHH) I haven't sanded it down yet, but it does look like it has some pretty shotty bondo work over some pretty unprepared rusted metal. Not my car, but all the same, the drip rails are pretty rotted, and I figured this would be the best way to just hack em off and weld on... anyone?

I would end up using option C considering it's closest to the dimentions

Just off the top of my head - I'm thinking that isn't gonna look too good. You'll have that funky saw-tooth look and you'll need to curve the lip for any kind of strength.

Seems to me a couple guys have made drip channel by forming sheet metal around small round bar. Sorry I don't have names, my memory doesn't work that way.

Just off the top of my head - I'm thinking that isn't gonna look too good. You'll have that funky saw-tooth look and you'll need to curve the lip for any kind of strength.

Seems to me a couple guys have made drip channel by forming sheet metal around small round bar. Sorry I don't have names, my memory doesn't work that way.

I planned on smoothin it out and all, but thanks for the response, i do see what you're saying though. I'm trying to get all the tools I need to start metal bending and forming, just thought this would be an easier option, but I'm always the one to drop the easy option if it's not going to look as good or be as strong as something else

I had a local roofing company with a 16 foot brake bend a set of drip channel for my A model. They need a downward bent in them so I used a old brake drum of the right dia to bend around. Cost about 10 bucks.

Don't remove the drip rail permently. Believe it or not they are structual part of the roof. I believe there are company that do make duplicates. The drip rail is not an easy thing to reproduce, most metel shapers will use a pullmax to create them

I have dealt with Len at the Autobody Store several times. He's a straight shooter. If you ask him about the plusses and minuses of this stuff, he'll give you a truthful answer.

You can bend sheet metal by clamping it between a piece of angle iron and a work bench. Use a wooden slapper you cut out of a 2 x 4 to hammer the edge a little at a time.

Latest posts

Back