lincoln welder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

34rat

Hey guy's I found this welder on craigslist and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it all I know is that it is 220v. I would like to know if it would work for me, I have body work and frame work to do on my 34. it looks like it is missing a tip to the gun which im sure is cheap. A pond shop is selling it and asking $450 and said thats negotiable. It's a Lincoln weld pack 175hd

Attachments

• Picture187.jpg
    Picture187.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture188.jpg
    Picture188.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 54
Hey guy's I found this welder on craigslist and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it all I know is that it is 220v. I would like to know if it would work for me, I have body work and frame work to do on my 34. it looks like it is missing a tip to the gun which im sure is cheap. A pond shop is selling it and asking $450 and said thats negotiable. It's a Lincoln weld pack 175hd

youll have to use the dryer outlet -- and yes the tips are pretty easy to pick up --

Yeah there is no regulator but I hope a harbor frieght one would work. I think they are around $35 Is it possible to make an extension cord with 220 ends say 15ft. long, so I can plug that into the dryer outlet

Last edited:
Yeah there is no regulator but I hope a harbor frieght one would work. I think they are around $35 Is it possible to make an extension cord with 220 ends say 15ft. long, so I can plug that into the dryer outlet

yea you can pick up a 220v plug at most hadware supply type stores --- and run a heavy duty extension cord with the right ampere and volt level or even buy bear cable and dice and splice... cost me around 60 dollars to do i think -- and i believe i went with 30feet...

but remember -- color codes for housing electricity and car electricity are NOT the same be sure to ask whats what if youre not familiar with it... dont need to be blowing anyone up without proper justification.

Last edited:
Yes you could!

I am an electrician by day I know my Lincoln welder is 240 volt[;) and draws close to 40 amps at it's full duty It is a 175 but not the weld pak. I went to my local electrical supply house and bought some 8/3 SO Cord which is just basically a very flexible rubberized extension cord that they sell for about $1.75 a foot but it takes a beating I picked up 30 feet of it which comes right out of the bottom of my Electrical panel in my garage. But the rule of thumb is 20 amps 12 gauge wire.30 amps 10 gauge wire. 40 amps 8 gauge wire. 50 amps 6 gauge wire and of course the proper cord ends.hope this helps you.:D

Well I bought the welder for $380. I am pretty new to welding so Im not sure if I tested it well enough to call it good. First I raised my dryer outlet up so it's accessable without pulling the dryer out, And I made a 6' extension cord with 10 gauge and the proper ends. It came with a partialy used 10lb. spool of flux core and the guy took a ground clamp off of another welder to throw it in. The ground lead did not look like it ever was connected and the inside parts were spotless so I dont think it was ever used. So I tested it with the flux core at different settings and different thicknesses of steel and it appeared to work fine just a little splatter of little beads all over I guess that is because of the type of wire. I imagine when I get a regulator,tank, and copper coated wire it should work fine, I hope so. Now I can start back on my project. Thanks to all that responded.

Well I bought the welder for $380. I am pretty new to welding so Im not sure if I tested it well enough to call it good. First I raised my dryer outlet up so it's accessable without pulling the dryer out, And I made a 6' extension cord with 10 gauge and the proper ends. It came with a partialy used 10lb. spool of flux core and the guy took a ground clamp off of another welder to throw it in. The ground lead did not look like it ever was connected and the inside parts were spotless so I dont think it was ever used. So I tested it with the flux core at different settings and different thicknesses of steel and it appeared to work fine just a little splatter of little beads all over I guess that is because of the type of wire. I imagine when I get a regulator,tank, and copper coated wire it should work fine, I hope so. Now I can start back on my project. Thanks to all that responded.

you just opened a new hallway of doors to your building capabilities ... congratulations :)

I tried using flux core and it spits and pops alot and when Im done there is slag all over, it sticks to everything including the tip it does pop right off when you hit it with a hammer but is this normal? Is'nt some stuff you can dip the tip in?

Latest posts

Back