big tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

34rat

Hey guys I just got my welder and im now looking for a tank. I found one on cl the guy says its an empty argon tank that is about 54" tall by 9 1/2 does anyone know the cubic ft. and is it worth $100 bucks?

I just bought a 150lb tank a few weeks back, full , for 210.00.

Got it from Airgas which is a national company.

I think its about 54" tall. Be careful though, I took torch bottles for exchange/refill and one was out of date which set me back a lil more dough. I am not sure if argon bottles have dates or whatever.

Just make sure that it is a bottle for private use and dosen't belong to some other gas company - If it's not for private use, they might refuse to fill it or may confiscate it.

Tractor Supply Co. here in Canada has a bottle exchange program with Praxair. You buy the bottle, and no contract is required, just exchange it from then on, and pay only for the gas. I don't know about your contract rates in the States, but here, the bottles would be paid for in two years. Your money ahead after that. Once my current contract is up with the supplier I'm with, I'll be making a change to TSC. Don't know if the program is available for you guys or not? Might be worth checking into at least.

If you have a supplier near by check and see what their lease program cost. i lease my bottles (large) for 30 bucks a year. It is also 100% tax write off.

I just bought a 150lb tank a few weeks back, full , for 210.00.

Got it from Airgas which is a national company.

I think its about 54" tall. Be careful though, I took torch bottles for exchange/refill and one was out of date which set me back a lil more dough. I am not sure if argon bottles have dates or whatever.

did you mean 155 cubic foot tank. I called around and was told its probably about a 300 cu. ft and would cost about $90 to fill and would probably last me a long time, I called around alot and the going rate for a 80 cu. ft tank empty is $175. So it ends up being a killer deal and it is a owner tank

If you have a supplier near by check and see what their lease program cost. i lease my bottles (large) for 30 bucks a year. It is also 100% tax write off.

You might want to check with your supplier on that $30.00 a year. I was doing the same deal until I found out you can sign a lease for 10 years and pay up front for about $75.00. That is $75.00 for 10 years a lot cheaper than 30 a year. Especially when you have 5-6 bottles.

You might want to check with your supplier on that $30.00 a year. I was doing the same deal until I found out you can sign a lease for 10 years and pay up front for about $75.00. That is $75.00 for 10 years a lot cheaper than 30 a year. Especially when you have 5-6 bottles.

Thanks for the tip. Will do. I have about 10 or so bottles. Saw your web site and have been knocking around the idea of a water jet 6'x12'. What ya think. Shoot me a pm. Dont want to jack this thread

there should be dates stamped on the tank (top of the tank) the dates are 5 or 6 years apart ...see what the last date was to know if it needs to be hydro tested[;)

Be carefull buying a tank from sombody, it could be a rented tank from a local supplier and when you take it in to get it filled they will confiscate it and you're out the bucks you paid for it. Yes, they are all dated,[I think they have to be pressure tested every ten years] and they are also coded whether they are rental or owned bottles. If you do buy it get his address in case you have to chase him down to get your money back. A 336 cubic foot argon bottle in texas cost $275.

Latest posts

Back