Question - Aluminum Finishes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22dodge

The other Dodge brother
Can anyone clarify what a "ball burnished" finish and a "tumbled finish" is on aluminum?
Also, any other "odd named" finishes for aluminum.
As near as I can figure, ball burnishing has a polished look, tumbled has a duller finish, but I am not sure.... :rolleyes:
Thanks, '22

Ball burnishing is a finish made by either tumbling or vibrating the metal parts with one of many different materials of balls, silicon, ceramic, steel or others.
It basically hammers the surface slightly, and may serve to harden the surface of the metal as well.

Tumbled, I believe is with irregular shaped media.

Another finish is a blasted finish. Using different media, for different looks.

and then Polished.

Who? I studied up a little before I answered. I would hate to mislead anybody. I was originally thinking it was blasted with these balls, but it turns out it is vibrated, or tumbled in a barrel.

no, no , Bonehead , I think I know why 22 is asking the question..... at least I hope it`s what I think .....gonna be cool , have to wait and see. your answer was right on the money, sorry for the confusion...24

Since the question has already been answered...................................

You Dodge guys are holding out on the rest of us. What kind of deal is that? :D

Yeah.....

I know who you`ve been talking to ! :)

'24 is right on the money, been in touch with Sellers Equiped about the Veda style caps he produces.
Even though I asked about the finish, the answer was vague enough where I am not sure about the ball burnished finish.
His reply was that "the caps on Nacho's truck are tumbled".
Nacho's truck is in the Rodders Journal and on his my space page, but that still leaves me with no idea what ball burnished looks like. :confused:
I guess what it boils down to is how I want to finish the aluminum on the Dodge's motor
( intake, valve cover, side cover, and oil filter canister) and if I want the caps and engine
parts finish to match. :D

Thanks guys... '22

22 , I found this website that has some pics of ball burnished wheels , may help you visualize a little better , they look polished , just not mirror polished like chromehttp://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls6a.html

Thanks.....

22 , I found this website that has some pics of ball burnished wheels , may help you visualize a little better , they look polished , just not mirror polished like chromehttp://www.azusaeng.com/wheels/whls6a.html

Thanks, '24. I wonder what is involved in maintaining that look?
I'll have to ask some questions at the local shops when I get back. '22

It's hard to describe the finish 22. It's smooth but not shiny. Although it doesn't look like a a shiny finish that has been intentionally dulled. By the way, those "Veda Orr" style caps are trick. Originals are somewhat priceless. I hope you get them.

Latest posts

Back