Welding stupidity!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Well, I know this is stupid but... sometimes I have a hard time welding along the line between the two pieces being welded. Then it came to me... maybe I should wear my glasses under my welding helmet. OMG... my welding *really* improved!!! it's so much easier to weld stuff... when you can actually see what u're welding!!! DUHHHHHH!!!

BoB

In the past couple of years, I've had to do the same thing Bob. Did you know that you can get magnification lenses for your welding hood?

My poor eyesite!

In the past couple of years, I've had to do the same thing Bob. Did you know that you can get magnification lenses for your welding hood?

Gastrick,
I figured as much but it appears my eyes have really gotten bad in the last couple of years!!! I'll have to ck into that... thanks!

BoB

I'll try it!

Tripper,
I wondered why I had so much trouble myself. I'll give it a try too!

ISore

It is hard to find corrective lens for auto hoods, however glasses can be worn under them. I am still a few years away but it is coming. Several of the guys who have worked for me have run into this problem and corrective lens have worked great. I just weld at arms length.

My vision has gotten noticably worse in the past 10 months. I think working at a computer all day like I did was a big factor. I also have trouble seeing the line to weld but I also found that if I position a bright worklight aiming at the weld I can see better. The darkness of the lens was keeping me from seeing it clearly.

Yep, getting old is NOT for sissies. :mad::mad::mad:

Don

Are you guys using Auto-dark helmets? It works well to find your line before you even start welding. Also mine has an adjustment to control the shade level, so I can weld inside, or out.

Auto-dark!

Are you guys using Auto-dark helmets? It works well to find your line before you even start welding. Also mine has an adjustment to control the shade level, so I can weld inside, or out.

Bonehead,
Yep, I use an auto-darkening helmet... my welding was *even* worse with the old style helmet! I can barely stand using the old style now!

BoB

My vision has gotten noticably worse in the past 10 months. I think working at a computer all day like I did was a big factor. I also have trouble seeing the line to weld but I also found that if I position a bright worklight aiming at the weld I can see better. The darkness of the lens was keeping me from seeing it clearly.

Yep, getting old is NOT for sissies. :mad::mad::mad:

Don

ditto, I also click off a couple of the overhead lights that are on my back. that seems to help too.

Bonehead,
Yep, I use an auto-darkening helmet... my welding was *even* worse with the old style helmet! I can barely stand using the old style now!

BoB

I am with you on this one. I can't stand the old helmets. I love my harbor freight auto sensing auto darkening solar powered $49 helmet. I works awesome.

I had to switch to a helmet with the large lens, couldn't see with my bifocals with small one! What a drag it is growing old!!!!!!! (sorry Mick and Keith!!).......grouchy

Helpful Warning

Hey guys, dont cheat yourself when using auto-darkening helmet with a shade adjustment. It might be tempting to use it with a lighter shade to see better but you run the chance of flashing your eyes especially when tigging
long beads of aluminum. Take a guess of how I know this. If you have a single shade helmet that isnt dark enuff you can buy additional lenses of #1 and #2 shades to add to what you have. I have found that I will mig at an 11 or 12 shade and tig at 13 to 15 shade depending on circumstances.

Latest posts

Back