Looking for a good drill press

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter1

http://www.tractorsupply.com/black-...uide-work-light-16-speed-3900673#product_tabs

The link above is the drill press I'm looking to purchase. Just wondering if any one has used/own this press.$200 seems cheap, but I'm a weekend warrior and not really looking to drop a bunch of money.Still trying to finish my ride but I know this will get used a good bit in the build and for home projects. If not this drill then what would y'all recommend? I will be drilling metal possibly 1/2" to wood.

Any good drill bits?

Thanks!

I would recommend this drill press. We bought one for my son in law last year for Christmas and he has used it a lot and had no problems at all. Look for coupons online for it. You could save 10-20%

Yep, it looks fine. We have two, one is about a 15 year old Delta that has been troublefree and the other is a Sears Craftsman I bought a couple of years ago. It is also fine and doesn't need a chuck key which is convenient.

That one you pictured has some good features so you should have it for years and years. Drill presses are one of those tools that enable you to do so many exact things on and you will wonder how you every got along without it.

Don

Just an FYI but TSC has the same electric tools as harbor freight. Check out price difference. Sometimes cheaper and sometimes more expensive

Our local Family Farm and Home store has one..

just like it.....regularly 199 It's $149 on sale right now....Just bought it....will replace the aging bench top I have....

i have had one for years, the only thing i dont like about it is it tends to burn up belts often. i use mine every day and it seems to need belts every 3-6 months. but other than that it has been a really nice machine for the money

My advice would be to save your $200 and comb your local craigslist. You can find decent older models that are MUCH better quality than any of this new chinese garbage.

I scored this 1950's Craftsman floor model for $60 and i guarantee it will outcut and certainly outlast anything currently available through Sears, TSC, HF and the like. Not to mention it has lots more style and looks much more at home in my shop than some new plastic shrouded crap. Well maintained vintage machinery belongs with the cars they helped create.

Just my $.02 [ddev

CIMG1774.jpg

CIMG1775.jpg

15 years ago when I retired I bought a Jet floor standing drill press. I wanted a unit that would run around 100rpm in the slowest setting. The slow speed is good for using hole saws. I doubt I could build hot rods without it.

drill press

I also bought one f/$149.00 from TSC approx 15 yrs ago after my son bent the chuck on my old $75.00 Delta that looks like that old Craftsman that Blue Eye
has.

save your money and look for something that will slow down to under 500 rpm it saves your bits and you can spend alot ofmoney replacing them

Well a family member heard me talking to someone on craigslist about buy there drill press. He told me like just hang up. I got one that you can have never been open. He showed it to me still in the box. It was green colored and under a lot of junk. So I didn't get the best look at it. I will be going back to my in law's grandmothers house to pick it up. It was my wife's grandfather's drill press that he never used. Probably will have it work for the price of free and use that money on rims or frame metal. I will post pics of it when I get it back to the house and set up.

Free is Good!!

See, it pays to speak loudly and often around the family!! You never know what is just lying around.....[cl

Well I got the Drill press home today. I got it free from a family member that wasn't using it. It was sitting in a box under the stairs in the garage. I got it assembled and turn it on and a spark shot out and tripped the breaker. The motor never turned. I flicked the breaker back and try it again and the motor sound like its getting power just not rotating. Any advice? I spun the motor by hand before turning it on for the first time to make sure it was locked up. I also vacuum the vent ports to try and suck any dust that could have been in the motor. I'm hoping I can fix the motor!

Thanks,
Josh

Forgot to post the pictures with it

Pictures

Attachments

• DP.jpg
    DP.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DP1.jpg
    DP1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DP2.jpg
    DP2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 12
Could be rust on the brushes and contact

Well I got the Drill press home today. I got it free from a family member that wasn't using it. It was sitting in a box under the stairs in the garage. I got it assembled and turn it on and a spark shot out and tripped the breaker. The motor never turned. I flicked the breaker back and try it again and the motor sound like its getting power just not rotating. Any advice? I spun the motor by hand before turning it on for the first time to make sure it was locked up. I also vacuum the vent ports to try and suck any dust that could have been in the motor. I'm hoping I can fix the motor!

Thanks,
Josh

end of the shaft/rotor/armature...could have caused a short to ground....I'd pull the motor apart and take a look at the brushes and end of the armature see if there is rust there..clean it up, use a little fine emery cloth on the armature and reassemble it....if still no go....I'd look for a new motor...

ok sounds good. I read some where on google that the capacitor might not be working. Not the same thing your talking about?

What brand and size motor would be good? going to be drilling metal.

I'd use the specs on the one you've got....

ok sounds good. I read some where on google that the capacitor might not be working. Not the same thing your talking about?

What brand and size motor would be good? going to be drilling metal.

check with northern tool and or grangers....might have what you need....by the ballast do you mean a starting ballast? most smaller motors under 1hp don't normally have a starter ballast that I know of....Air compressors, 3hp to 5 horse usually do but can't rule it out cause I'm not really an electrician although I try to be sometimes....usually results in my getting bit..at least once...lol

Latest posts

Back