Tubing benders.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89johnny

I'm looking to buy a tubing bender for the garage. The two I have my eye on are the tubing roller and the hydraulic bender. I have no experience with either and looking for opinions.
Here's a pic of the roller. Which do you prefer and why?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 46
The first one, the roller machine. is a tube bender. The other, hydraulic one, is a pipe bender. 2 totally different things. Pipes are a different size then tubes and using the wrong machine will do a terrible job on your bends.

Cbucket is right, the second one looks like a pipe bender and they don't bend tubes very well. Tube is measured by OD and pipe is measured in ID so the dies that come with that hydraulic press won't support the tubing properly so the tube will kink quickly and easily. I have one of those machines so I have first hand experience with those cheapo units. I don't know if they will bend pipe nicely but they won't bend tubing worth a dang.

Neither of those ^^^^ are tubing benders.

The roller will make LARGE radius arcs in lightweight materials. (A 90° bend will take several feet to accomplish.)

The pipe bender (as the guys said) is for pipe and easily worked materials like electrical conduit. (It will deform, crush and kink tubing.)

What you need depends on what you plan to bend. If you want a real tubing bender, there are many choices... JD2, Mittler Bros. etc., etc. (I have a Hossfeld.) None are cheap but produce quality, uniform bends in otherwise "difficult" tubing.

would this one be better? I'm not looking to spend a ton for one cause it's not something I'll be using everyday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 25
These people have already been down this same road.
Trust me when I tell you they have your best interest in mind and don't want to see you spend your money on junk that doesn't work.
Those are not tubing benders. If you want to bend tubing buy a real tubing bender. Buy the best one you can afford then buy the dies as needed.
I've got both of the products you've posted and I wouldn't give you two cents for the hydraulic pipe bender.
The tubing roller has it's place. It rolls tubing into a radius (not like a bender) and hoops.
The other one is a bar bender, it too has its place. It's for bending solid bar stock. They always put that little bit more in there to sell the product and it almost makes them out to be liars.
I like your build so keep on working towards your goal.

Hey guys thanks a ton for the great advise. I'm gonna buy a better unit than these I was trying to stay cheap but I won't get what I want out of them. Like I said thanks! I asked here because I knew there would be a ton of great experience.
[;)

On to better fabrication techniques.
The most inexpensive tubing bender that I would consider is this one from Speedway. It comes with the most common dies you will probably use.
It is an entry level bender which would be fine for a home operation.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/3rd-Generation-Hydraulic-Round-Tubing-Bender-and-5-Die-Set,20066.html
91084116_L_1508f71b.jpg

Woodward fab make a mechanical bender worth the money just keep in mind you have to buy every die which three will run as much as the bender.
The bender and the stand will run $400.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=pipe+tube+bender&Nty=1&D=pipe+tube+bender&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&cmnosearch=PPC&utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=MetalFabrication&utm_campaign=generic&utm_content=pipe%20tube%20bender&mkwid=s1gksnjK4&pcrid=74444875391&mtype=b&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search&utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=MetalFabrication&utm_campaign=&utm_content=pipe%20tube%20bender&mkwid=sDyLEdj60&pcrid=74444875391&mtype=b&devicetype=c&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search&gclid=CJSYqqjLhssCFQmSaQodcGoPcA
WFB2-WEB.jpg

The one I have is an air over hydraulic one shot bender that runs around $3,500 with a half dozen dies. This would be for a shop doing work for other people to offset the cost.
http://www.trick-tools.com/Pro_Tool...uxe_Kit_5803?gclid=CIfy89XHhssCFQcLaQodd0oJWQ
hb302deluxe.jpg

I borrowed this JD2 Bender about 10 years ago and the guy doesn't want it back. Recently removed the ratchet lever and replaced it with a trailer jack. Turn the handle, bend the tubing. No need to anchor it to the floor this way. I have bought two dies for it for a total of about $500.

^^^^^^^^^^That's what I'm talking about^^^^^^^^^^^
Good tools are a one time purchase and not expensive in the long run.

I like the jd2 with the trailer jack modification that's probably what I will get. I'm sure I have a few trailer jacks laying around. I'll start with the 1.5 inch die and then buy them as I need them. I wish I could afford the air powered one. That looks nice!

Latest posts

Back