First time welder advise

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then you should get yourself a good one and go from there.You will always need a bigger one as you progress.Unless you have unlimited funds to keep upgrading them then get what you want.But it will be a costly learning mistake.Its your money and it sounds like no matter what advice that you have been given. You dont sound like you are going to absorb much of it.

I can just about guarantee you that if you spend your money on a little welder that you will attempt to weld on stuff that you should not.It will not penatrate the steel.

You will also regret buying it as you learn.Learning this art is not rocket science.And can be learned very quickly.

I have seen this happen quite a few times.Guys buying cheap stuff just because they dont want to spend the money up front and get stuck with a use less piece of machinery that they cant use for the job that they need to do.

Last edited:
just to clarify, i am not expecting to jump right into welding on my frame. i just stated that is what i want to do after i learn how to do it correctly. im sure everyone starts somewhere and with something... it just so happens i have yet to do that and want to.

I was just speaking in general, i hope that you didnt take offense to what i said. Nothing personal was intended.

hillbilly... no offense taken, just didnt want to have anyone thinking i was planning on jumping into it.

35.. with all due respect, i am absorbing the advise ive been given. but i am wanting to make sure and learn the pro's and con's of others and if certain others will be similar to fit my needs.

and let me add one thing... unlike some others that may have a nice flow of money to do just about anything their desire leads them, thats not me! i have a family of 5 boys and VERY limited to what money i have to support my hobby. so with that being said, if it is possible to spend a little less money by shopping around then that has to be what i need to do. i understand that what i "want to do" and "what i have means to" are two seperate things. so i dont want you guys to think im not listening to your advise. if that were the case then i would not have posted this question.

i dunno... maybe i shouldnt consider getting a welder. dont have the amount of money to get what i want to do what i want. this might be one of those "sign" things..... "HERE'S YOUR SIGN!"

Okay, the cheap way into it is a cracker box arc welder, used about $100 bucks. They are hard to beat, super strong welds, versitile, and a basic starter for getting into welding. I started with one years ago (Lincoln) before I went on to a portable arc.

Now the bad news, harder to learn with, more clean up after you weld.

There is more to metal work than just welding. You have to have a way to cut material too. Maybe a chop saw, or a torch. I used to build everything with just a welder, and a torch. Now I probably have 20 different ways to cut metal in my shop.

Welding stick is not a bad thing. If you want to build "old school" thats is how it is done.

Kind of a light duty machine, the old style like I showed you is a more heavy duty machine, and they come up in the paper pretty regularly. The really old ones were copper wound machines. The kind with the round crank on the front is the really old ones. They were good but getting old like me now.

thanks bonehead. on my way back home from columbus today, i stopped by one of the local pawn shops just to see if they would have something i was looking for. well, they had the exact same arc welder that you pointed out and out of curiosity i asked what the price was on it. you could tell by the sticker on it that it had been sitting there for quite a while and still.... $200.00. i thought for sure with the age of it, use of it and with how long it had sat there, that he would work a little on the price. nope! he wouldnt even extend a 24 hr warranty on it to make sure it would hold up. needless to say, i left without even saying thanks.

Last edited:
Lets talk arc welding for a minute. Arc or stick welding burns a flux covered welding rod. It is a great way to build a frame, but is a little lacking when it comes to sheet metal. That is where a mig welder shines. Not to say that you can't weld sheet metal with an arc welder, because you can. But it takes practice.

As far as the machine I pointed out to you, keep looking, I have seen them from $80- 150 bucks used with 100 dollar bill buying most of them. Again the good news is the used price does not change much. If it doesnt work out you can get your money back out of it.

"M A R K O!!" where's POLO???? okay, who snagged that lincoln 175 that i posted a link off of debay? thats hilarious! went back this afternoon to jump on the buy it now price and guess what? i wasnt the first one! so, which one of you guys just bought yourself a one way ticket to my house for the delivery of my new welder???? oh, its okay, i will give you your money, but it would be only fair to pay for your own gas... since you offered and all. lol!!!

Welder

I have a Linclon 140c mig welder gave $700 for it new. That welder will weld on frame an do light welding also an its only a 110 welder. Its approved by the NSRA . I like it. Looking into that one. I welded my box plates to the frame it did a good job. Looks strong to me.

Last edited:
i cant give you much advice on welding because i have only been at it for about a week so im still a hack at it, but i do have some advice on where to look for one. i spent about two weeks checking the tools and the farm+garden sections craigslist, and i was able to pick up a year and a half old 220v mig welder with a cart, tank of gas, and spools of wire for 300 bucks. being in the military it was easy for me to swing by the barracks to check out craigslist every few hours, but if your able to check it two or three times a day you can usually be the first person to pounce on something when its posted.

I am not sure what the difference is but I can tell you that the box store units are sometimes built a little different than the welding supply store units. Usually they have some number change on the decals as well.

come on guys, just save some cake and search craigslist. I found the holy grail of mig machines yesterday the OLD millermatic 200. handsdown the best wirefed machine EVER built for FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS. If I didn't allready own one I would have snapped it up. It is stiil available goto sarasota craigslist search. welder. $400.00 crazy

well, let me think about this.... if i lived anywheres close to you i would jump on it. but here in Ohio, they arent as readily available as of yet. ive been jumping on there about 4 times a day hoping to find a cool deal. but they just arent popping up here like i have heard they are everywhere else. but i will keep at it... something is bound to pop up sooner or later.

Latest posts

Back