welding cart

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is one of mine. Shelf space, cup holder, and all.
MIGCART2.jpg

Hey Bonehead... would you be able (when you have time) suggest something of "dabay"? Checked the local stores and noone has anything to offer below $150 and thought maybe you could lead me in a direction. Thanks.

2008_1215trk0008.jpg

When I bought my welder I asked about buying a cart. The saleman said they had carts but suggested I build my own as a good way to get acquainted with the welder. So, here's mine. It's hard to see, but I hang visegrip type clamps on two half inch steel rods welded on the back and right side of the cart frame. A few changes I would make are: Use 1" angle iron to create a lip around the top and middle shelves so the visegrips and clamps don't fall off. Use expanded metal for all the shelves to let the crap fall through. Rubber casters instead of the plastic ones I have.

i to bought one of the harbor freight carts for my hobart 187 and had to modify it to make the welder fit plus i ended up welding the thing together since it was so flimsy. if i had it to do over again I'd just build one.

I built one to hold my Mig and Plasma cutter and one for the Tig, made the handles so you can hang the cords. Also go with the big rubber castors, they roll over everything.

Sean

Attachments

• P6260455.JPG
    P6260455.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 128
I got a buddy that welds for a living an he made mounts for a 2 wheel ulility cart.It works pretty sweet,alot like a torch cart, and it stores easy.

when i bought my Miller it came with a Chinese made cart, piece of crap, i beefed it up and use it, but you should really make your own, and use good rubber wheels. the mesh shelves with a lip are good ideas, and some where to hang cables and clamps......

DIY is the best to learn your welders ability and to hone your skills.
Not very difficult and be done with in an afternoon. Also, if you have some really cool friends, have a cart party for the occassion. Anything to have the gang over for some drinks and share a party sub is worth the time to tee off the ol lady :rolleyes::eek::D

I have some friends that get under her skin real fast........this way she leaves us alone and takes the kids on a safari so we can have our time as well.:cool:

Maximo

Hey Bonehead... would you be able (when you have time) suggest something of "dabay"? Checked the local stores and noone has anything to offer below $150 and thought maybe you could lead me in a direction. Thanks.

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this. BobW has it right. Build it. I like a removable shelf above that slips out of a square tube pocket. A couple of other shelves are nice, as well as a space some where with a series of 3/8 holes. Screwdrivers, mig plyers, side cutters, regular plyers, go in these holes. I really have a cup holder on my cart, as well as a capped chunk of pipe to hold soapstone, markers, a scribe, pens and pencils. I have a ring sitting above the shelf to hold a can of antispatter. I also added a short mast above the whole thing with a hook to hold my helmet. It was always in the way hanging on the bottle. Large solid rubber tires are great.
It is never finished. You can always add stuff because your welder is right there. I know, "pictures when I can".:D

Here's mine - made out of junk steel. The handles are actually the old stabilizer bar from the '49 that I cut in half. The cart rests on a coil spring that I also cut in half - wheels on the back. I would probably revise a little to accommodate a bigger bottle however....

Attachments

• IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 60
A couple years ago, my brother and I went down the street and brought home 2 carts from the local vegi store, Albertsons brand. We went to work and created a real strong and simple welding cart in a matter of a couple hours. Pulled out the sawzall and grinders, had some nice diamond plating to make the hard surfaces match the chrome cart. :rolleyes:
You need to face the welder towards the push handle and cut out a section on the front for the bottle. A couple shelves and loop hooks for the essentials.:D

Maximo

most that i know of have been home made from box stock. Thats what I do.
I once bought a used small weldpac and the guy gave me a regular old tool cart with it, it worked fine, plenty of room for everything but it doesnt hold a bottle.

Okay, lets have some fun. On this cart, my light welder, you will find a place for a can of anti spatter, tool holders, and even a TP holder, and a cup holder. This one has solid steel wheels. This cart sits next to a big welding table and is rarely moved, but since it is a 110 unit, it goes outside easier than the 220 units.

The main cart is very similar but it has a bigger welder. (and no TP rack)
cart.jpg

I'm gonna have to modify my carts. I have a tool holder the entire cart sits on and it kinda resembles my garage floor. Problem is it's too big and I can never find what I need:D.

Sean

(and no TP rack) socks always work 4 me in a pinch BH:eek::eek:

Had to laugh, I did that once in a junkyard about 20 yrs ago. I was way in the back, and my bowels said "right now", I never would have made the gate. So, since I'm a mopar guy, I squatted behind a 4-dr Impala and left the yard without socks. Not my proudest moment, but sometimes one must improvise.

Just so I'm not hijacking the thread, here is my homemade cart. I totally agree building your own is best, especially with a new welder. I saw some cool ideas here that I'm going to add to mine.

IMG_1082-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back