welding cart

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are some pretty nifty buzzbox carts. I just use an old steel microwave type counter on wheels. It has a drawer for supplies and a shelf on the bottom for misc stuff. Welder is a Clarke 130EN 110V w/flux core crap on it still. Welder & cart are both crude, but effective. Sorry, no pix...still need to invest in a digital camera-house expenses have been first priority.

Had to laugh, I did that once in a junkyard about 20 yrs ago. I was way in the back, and my bowels said "right now", I never would have made the gate. So, since I'm a mopar guy, I squatted behind a 4-dr Impala and left the yard without socks. Not my proudest moment, but sometimes one must improvise.

Just so I'm not hijacking the thread, here is my homemade cart. I totally agree building your own is best, especially with a new welder. I saw some cool ideas here that I'm going to add to mine.

IMG_1082-3.jpg

you must be very flexible , unless of course , you took them off first.....:D

Last edited:
Here is what I built for my new welder. It was a "practice" in body work, fab. and welding. I took an old cart that I had for holding a base station, and an old telco rack that I cut up for the shelfs. The backing is an old Chevy tailgate that I " uncurled". I pulled the curl out of the top and bottom edge and hammered it flat. I used some Eastwood Rust Converter on it and then hot rod flat blacked all of it. It is kinda big, so now I am thinking that I should split it down the middle and narrow it. It was a fun project, and was good practice. My 2-cents worth.

Attachments

• DSCN1158.JPG
    DSCN1158.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN1169.JPG
    DSCN1169.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN1173.JPG
    DSCN1173.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN1176.JPG
    DSCN1176.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN1157.JPG
    DSCN1157.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 48
I worked between 5-6 hours Saturday building this with my Christmas present. Thanks to all the previous post which helped me with my design. I still like adding some attachments and a shinny red paint job to match my lincoln, but I am very happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• Picture 070.jpg
    Picture 070.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 113
2008_1215trk0008.jpg

When I bought my welder I asked about buying a cart. The saleman said they had carts but suggested I build my own as a good way to get acquainted with the welder. So, here's mine. It's hard to see, but I hang visegrip type clamps on two half inch steel rods welded on the back and right side of the cart frame. A few changes I would make are: Use 1" angle iron to create a lip around the top and middle shelves so the visegrips and clamps don't fall off. Use expanded metal for all the shelves to let the crap fall through. Rubber casters instead of the plastic ones I have.

I like that... I've been toying with the idea of building a new cart to house 2 bottles and 2 welders (110 & 220). The hanging area for clamps is exactly what I need, they are everywhere right now

I have been meaning to build a weld cart as well as a bunch of other stuff for a few years now. Looking at this thread actually lit a fire under me to get mine done. I decided to build a torch cart first since my bottles have been strapped to the old weld cart for all these years. Guess I'm tired of working like a caveman.:DIMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2508.JPG

My Lincoln mig and tig came on carts and are rather difficult to push around, so the mig has a 25 ft extension to the removable feeder and I put a 25 ft Tweeco gun and lead, so I can get 50 ft from my machine and the tig has a 25 ft lead on it. I also have a rolling weld table w/ 3/8 plate for the top that is 4' x 6' . I have added all kinds of little rings ,racks,shelves and such just for holding all of my small welding hand tools. So, unless it already has a cart, it's better to build your own cart, just the way you would like it. I built my oxy cart out of a old furniture dolly, added some 20" bicycle wheels and extended the bottom plate and added some bottle straps.

Painted and loaded, this was good practice for me. I have been tigging everything for the last 10 years so picking up the stick was fun. I forgot a lot of stuff but it's coming back to me slowly but surely. This is my torch rig, I got a pretty good start on my new welding cart this week as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2556.JPG
    IMG_2556.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2559.JPG
    IMG_2559.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 70
all terrain welding cart

Here's mine. It is made from an HF hand truck with 13" wheels. Purpose built for constructions sites and working on stairs.

It doesn't take up much floor space

Attachments

• 1 welding cart.jpg
    1 welding cart.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 2 welding cart.jpg
    2 welding cart.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 55
Got tired of dragging the truck to the welder so this is what I came up with yesterday. I bought one of those cheap carts from the local China import store and took some square tubing and made a rack for the tank. All four wheels swivel so it is easy to move around. It also has a drawer. I plan to put a cup holder on it today.:D

Attachments

• welding cart one.jpg
    welding cart one.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 40
  • welding cart two.jpg
    welding cart two.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 28
  • welding cart three.jpg
    welding cart three.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 36
Here's Mine....

Mine's built to hold my mig and my tig. Very sturdy and rolls real smooth. Bottom is leftover 2x4 and the rest is 1x1 and a 16ga top.
DSCF0260.jpg

There are some really nice and creative set ups here. I really dig all of them! :)

My MIG has it's own chassis, but I had to build a cart for my TIG machine. I had actually built that cart a few years ago for a different TIG welder I had, but I had to modify it to make the new welder fit. It's made out of 1/8" wall 1"x1" square tubing. The two lower shelves are 16 gauge steel and the top surface is 1/8" sheet. I made it thicker so I can use it as a mobile welding table. I will redo the cart as soon as I add a water cooler.

2010-02-26152239.jpg

2010-02-26152221.jpg

haha, been looking for an excuse to take pictures of the cart I just built for my Lincoln 180.. tomorrow after work, it's on. :D

Latest posts

Back