Older Than Dirt Quiz...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never tried wax paper. (Your Mom was a genius, kenny!) I remember a mud hole in the landing zone... and sticking skin to a piping hot sheet of metal.

I had forgotten about the slide mud holes.
The swings with chains and a strap to sit in also had mud holes. Man I was swingin so high the chains would slack up then snap, drug my feet through the muddy water, soaked a girl standing behind me waiting her turn.
My wife told me, don't ever get in the swings again [ddd

Never tried wax paper. (Your Mom was a genius, kenny!) I remember a mud hole in the landing zone... and sticking skin to a piping hot sheet of metal.

Oh my, I remember those hot metal slides myself!:eek: And I remember a cage built out of 3/4" steel pipe called the monkey bars, and the fat kid who got stuck [not me] trying to crawl through the opening.:rolleyes:

It's a wonder we survived. Kids now are wrapped in bubble wrap, everything is plastic, and mud holes are drained and filled in.

You could get gashed pretty good on the bolts on the monkey bars. The merry go round with the open frame work, one kid would run in the middle of it and get it going fast enough to fling us of of it. He tripped and fell once and took a beating from the bars on the way down. let's just say it didn't make him any smarter and he couldn't afford to get any less intelligent.

The older kids would spin the merry go round from the outside... grab the "handlebars", heave, pull, push and slap the bars until it reached terminal velocity (the point where you can't possibly add speed.)

Many Cokes, Moon Pies, Twinkies and lunches were untimely "freed" by those things. (Let it rain.)

Old Iron: We'd have a couple friends give a healthy push start, stand on the swing seat, "pump" the chains a few times, take the seat and pump the chains some more, often achieving the slack chain fun you described...

Anyhow, a kid I knew in grade school put an end to all that. He was probably setting a schoolyard record for height, but it really doesn't matter... when the chain slack snapped taut, the seat broke and his tail met the earth like the seat was made of toilet tissue.

Anybody here familiar with the infamous "Cowboy Kick"?

The older kids would spin the merry go round from the outside... grab the "handlebars", heave, pull, push and slap the bars until it reached terminal velocity (the point where you can't possibly add speed.)

Many Cokes, Moon Pies, Twinkies and lunches were untimely "freed" by those things. (Let it rain.)

Old Iron: We'd have a couple friends give a healthy push start, stand on the swing seat, "pump" the chains a few times, take the seat and pump the chains some more, often achieving the slack chain fun you described...

Anyhow, a kid I knew in grade school put an end to all that. He was probably setting a schoolyard record for height, but it really doesn't matter... when the chain slack snapped taut, the seat broke and his tail met the earth like the seat was made of toilet tissue.

Anybody here familiar with the infamous "Cowboy Kick"?

I couldn't do anything but, laugh

Latest posts

Back