What do you heat your garage with?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well its time to put the heater into the garage. I think i have the few problems figured out.
Okay a few pics. As i said its short. I have 4 4 inch blocks that i am going to sit it on with a sheild under and half way around. I want to put it where i have my stool at not under the storage shelf. And thats brings up the next questions. Where to run run the pipe? Do i put an elbow and run it out under the shelf? where the bike tire is ( move all that stuff down) or do i runn it out above the shelf and move that stuff. I am not going to go thru the roof. I have enough pipe and elbows to go thru the back wall. So tell where you think the pipe should go out and why.

52 fordman

I'm no expert, but I'll try to help.

Straight up is best, but since you don't want that, try to achieve maximum upward angle from the heater to the wall. Avoid 90 degree elbows and horizontal runs if you can. Give exhaust the easiest path possible so it can rise naturally with minimum restriction.

If the horizontal exceeds the vertical, the exhaust has to work to get out, and loses too much heat, possibly creating a choke and promoting unwanted buildup.

I have no idea if these are close to scale, but this is my thinking on the subject.

stovepipe-Copy.jpg

stovepipe.jpg

I use a Radiant Tube Heater. It's my second one becuase I moved and had to buy another. Works great and is fairly quiet.

In the last garage I had 2" of blue styryfoam put under the concrete before it was poored. I left it heated all winter and couldn't hardley tell the difference in the heating bill.

My shed now is bigger, block walls with no insulation and poor sealing.
The shed came with a old house furnace which works good and I use it to warm the place up until the radiant takes over. The house furnace is louder because you have to listen to the fan.

I've used other forced air, but think they are too expensive for a bigger non-insulated garage.

I've used and old LB White farm bldg/animal style, but too stinky and maybe mine needed some attention.

I've used wood before and liked it in a bigger garage, but would rather use my radiant because its a lot less work.

I've been in shops with floor heat and this would be my preferance.

I dont have a shop but I do have a basement and a carport.The carport is unheated but the basement has a single wall heater.It stays 65 or so all year round so I really dont need much heat.[P[;):cool:

My shop is about 16 x 28 with an 8 foot ceiling. 10" insulation in the ceiling and 2 x 6 walls insulated and vapour barrier all around. I use a 4800 watt electric heater with a fan and thermostat. Keeps the shop toasty warm at -30 in the cold of winter. Between it, my welder and air compressor it keeps the hydro meter spinning at a healthy rate maybe running about $30 a month.

My shop is an old feed store/co-op that's been around since about the 30's far as we can tell. It is a tin building with exposed wooden framework that is about 30x60ish ? split into a 30x40 with the smaller section up front for storage. With no insulation and the fact that the tin is separating all over the place I dont even try to heat it,I am just glad it's a concrete floor and keeps the coldl off of me when it gets real bad out ! I have a wood burning stove/cooktop but I dont know that it would be worth the effort.

I have a forced air oil fired furance,way too big btu size for me, but heats my 28 X 32 ft. shop up in minutes, even when it's - 20 outside .
Brian

cheap heat

i use wood with the mother earth waste oil heater as backup steel building zero insulation and itll get 50 or 60 when 20 degrees outside makes u stay busy lol a friend of mine put a comercial water heater in with a small pump and ran hose under the concreate before he poured it it stays 55 all winter but he has insulation

oil heater

DSCF7477.JPG

Well got a few more items taken care of on the oil heater and I think its ready to put in FINALLY... Had it going last night and as I have said it can get pretty hot. 750 degrees F. is warm and at that temp you can see the sides get a little red at night. And trust me i don't want to get it that hot while its in the shop. BRING ON THE COLD AND SNOW.

52 fordman

Looks like you got it sorted out.....

View attachment 68980

Well got a few more items taken care of on the oil heater and I think its ready to put in FINALLY... Had it going last night and as I have said it can get pretty hot. 750 degrees F. is warm and at that temp you can see the sides get a little red at night. And trust me i don't want to get it that hot while its in the shop. BRING ON THE COLD AND SNOW.

52 fordman

Amazing the heat they put out..... mine will also glow right near the burner height.....cool......I could do without the snow...lol

Latest posts

Back