Home made tools

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you're dead on........let me make one suggestion. get a smaller bolt.......I had to put a pretty big hole in the sq. tube because the head didn't offer much clearance once I attached the gauged metal. If I build more, I'd go for something in the #8 or #10 range, maybe even with a standard screw type head, that way the shim plate would have a nice little seat. And don't waist your money on buying gauged metal, if you know anyone or work somewhere with a steel banding machine.......the banding works great! Make sure you have a high speed drill when you drill it.

I don't mean to hijack, but here's how I made mine.

Attachments

• clamp1.jpg
    clamp1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 103
  • clamp2.jpg
    clamp2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 125
Would there be a problem if aluminum tubing was used for the but clamps?

My thinking is that the aluminum tubing would be easier to cut, especially the slit, on a table saw.

MIKE!!!!!

I found this picture on the other site..........much thanks!!

I built mine from Mike S. I can't take credit for it.

No problem, I am glad they worked for ya. They sure are handy little suckers!:D

I was gonna add...initially I couldn't get a decent straight line cut across the bottom of the tubing so I made a little table saw fixture for my cut-off wheel. It worked really well and sped the process up a lot.

Attachments

• Jig1.jpg
    Jig1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Jig2.jpg
    Jig2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 40 GMC 077.jpg
    40 GMC 077.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 134
I did mine in 2' sections. Layed out the slot on one side, and drilled the holes on the other side. Then cut them into the separate pieces.

they're easy enough to slit with a 4" angle grinder using a 1mm thick stainless steel cutoff disc. Just mark it out with a pencil line and follow the line, golly you only gotta do a slit 1" long . [;)

No problem, I am glad they worked for ya. They sure are handy little suckers!:D

I was gonna add...initially I couldn't get a decent straight line cut across the bottom of the tubing so I made a little table saw fixture for my cut-off wheel. It worked really well and sped the process up a lot.

Now we are talking - a home-made tool to make.......

home-made tools!!!!

home-made tools are the best........even better when they actually work! My next venture is going to be a ring roller, then a modified HF bead roller.

So you just move the belts around for different speed:confused:

Honestly took me a minute to figure out what it was. I was over thinking it:D

Latest posts

Back