Caddy engine experts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the oil & diesel combo is the same principle behind that "engine flush" stuff at the auto parts store. Supposedly OK as long as you are just running it in neutral with absolutley no load on the engine.

But I have also heard that stuff can loosen up chunks of heavy gunk that will end up in the pan or get lodged in small oil passages.

Seems like the least risky would be to just pull the pan and clean the pump screen, manually clean out the oil pan.

Irish, Yeah I agree. I think I`ll actually do both, run it with the diesel,dump it, and then drop the pan to clear all the chunks left in the pan.

I've seen that stuff (engine flush) clog up oil screens

Irish, Yeah I agree. I think I`ll actually do both, run it with the diesel,dump it, and then drop the pan to clear all the chunks left in the pan.

Never been a fan of that type of stuff....figure if there is a problem, get in and take a look at what might be causing the issue....

OK, Here`s the latest on my Caddy engine.EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE OK. I changed the mechanical oil press gauge and "bled" it. She now starts instantly and runs 45 psi. cold and no lifter noise.[cl

Well it`s been about 4 months since I last posted on this subject.Here`s the latest. Near the end of last month I put it on the road, running 20-40 oil pressure.I had some overheating issues I believe because of air in the system. I also had this "flat" running situation as well as a jingling noise coming from the left bank. I pulled the valve cover and found the exhaust valve on cyl #6 was not even moving and the push rod was just laying there making the familiar jingling noise.:eek: I yanked the intake and found the lifter completely collapsed. The camshaft is visible in the valley and appears undamaged.:[cl Tomorrow I`ll have my new parts and put it back together:)

Well I got everything changed and she fired up and ran well(for a short time). Now she`s a banin and a rattlin. I think all the bearings are wiped out. I`ll take her apart tomorrow.

Well I dropped the pan and found a lot of chunks of junk in the bottom. Whoever had the intake off before me must have dropped all the junk in the valley, into the pan.I pulled the caps off of 3 out of 5 mains and to me they look good.I then took the #7 rod cap off and the bearing looks worn but the crank doesn`t appear to be damaged.I then took the oil pump pick up off and the screen looks pretty clogged with grit.Then I removed the oil pump and found it to be jammed with more grit(I know I shouda done this stuff a month ago:eek:).However, my brother has a 69 Caddy sitting in his yard with a 472 or 500. He says if it runs, with no noises,we can drop it in my 37.[dr

You my friend are one lucky man.....

What are the odds of having another 472 or 500 caddy motor handy and ready to roll....???? I can't imagine the odds but you have come out smelling like a rose......:D :D :D [cl

OMG Sarge you`re right. I can`t believe it myself. BTW after the last post I went out and pulled a couple more rod caps #6 same thing, worn and parially spun. I then pulled #8 and I found the one makin all the noise. It was totally spun,worn through into two pieces,with the two halves right on the rod cap.tomorrow I`m going over to my brother`s to help him get the 472 running. wish me luck:D

Went out last night with some "hotRod" buddies we were all getting stoked with the idea of putting a 472 in my 37.I got home and my daughter informed me that there was a message on the ans. mach from uncle Larry.His message"Tom that 472 is siezed":( Now it`s decision time.Fix what I got or tear down the 472. You guys got any suggestions? Cost is the determining factor.

Hope I didn't jinx you......

Went out last night with some "hotRod" buddies we were all getting stoked with the idea of putting a 472 in my 37.I got home and my daughter informed me that there was a message on the ans. mach from uncle Larry.His message"Tom that 472 is siezed":( Now it`s decision time.Fix what I got or tear down the 472. You guys got any suggestions? Cost is the determining factor.

Dang.... I think i'd pull some plugs, put some kroil or mystery oil or something down the cylinders to see if you can get her turning over...might only be a light rusting on the cylinders.....as for the other....reground crank, bearings possible damage to caps and main so line bore and such...wow...could get ugly money wise very quickly....Maybe you can salvage some of both to make up one....can't remember off hand what you had...472 or 500 and I'm no caddy motor guy anyway...don't know what if anything is interchangeable... either way it's a bummer..... :(

Sarge the 69 is a 472 and the 78 is a 425 I`m not sure if anything internally will fit each other. I`m hoping to measure the rods and the crank journals to see of any damage was done. If not, maybe I can replace the rod bearings and go with it. Hopefully:confused:

well upon further review,I found a piece of piston in the oil pickup:mad:Looking up at the underside of the pistons,I cannot tell where it came from:( My initial response is dont f#&% with it.So, now I really need to get an engine.:rolleyes:

Well I decided to tear down the 472 to see why it wont turn over. Today I went to my brother`s to remove the heads. I got the left bank off and it all looked great[cl Now tomorrow I`ll yank the other side off and hope it will be the same:D

:Dllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''....... HAAAAH Your a riot sarge. I cant wait to get over there and get that other head off.

OK Sarge, you can say what you want.THE ENGINE IS OK. I pulled the other head and found a little strip of rust down one side of #1 cyl.We sanded it off and was able to turn it over using a bar on the ring gear.A little cleaning,check the bottom end,and put `er back together,I should be GOOD TO GO.[cl

Ya did good Sarge. Tomorrow night I`m going to yank it out of the 69 Cad, drop the pan,and pull #1 piston to check if the rings are siezed.:D

Latest posts

Back