A shop for my stuff....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta agree with some others here. I built mine 30x40 originally. Couple of years back I added another 12' width to the entire length making it 42x40. I still think it's not big enough when my collection of "stuff" is in disaray...ok, I'm a pack rat:rolleyes:

Back in 05 I was fortunate enough to be able to have a shop built. My wife and I went to several places for estimates for 36x40 and after speaking to a bunch of customers from those places settled on one company. Sat down with them and laid out the specifics. This is where I have to say that I really love my wife and can't believe she puts up with me. My wife points at the drawing and say's "why don't you make it bigger to 36 x 60?" Then my concerns on the budget comes in and she then says " instead of 10' walls, would something like 14' make more sense, then you could drive an RV in it." Then she says " you like working on stuff outside when the weather is nice, how about a porch too." So, we came up with 36x60 plus a 12' porch. The building guy say's to me " I've never had anyone come back and say the building is too big, make it smaller. It's always the opposite." So, 8 years later I could easily use another 24 feet of shop space. Problem is, I could see that having to grow a few years after expanding. It's awesome that you are getting started on this dream. If you plan for expansion now it'll make it easier later when you decide you need more space. Had I thought about that more I would have put my building in a different place on my property. Have fun!!! :D

30x45 is as big as I can fit where it stands, without cutting down trees. Part of the reason we chose this property was for the trees. Anywhere else on our 2 acres would have been a mess for a driveway. I also wanted it fairly near the house so the wife can hear me screaming for help.

The property already has a 22x22 heated garage (that my wife claimed), and a 8x12 building with 2 8x12 additions on either side (which my wife also claimed one of).

This spring it gets wiring - 100amp panel (would 200amp be overkill?) and lots of outlets. Gas heater before next winter, and as soon as money allows, it will be hi-density spray foamed, which will also mean inside walls. I'm thinking about trying some passive solar heating too.

I'll have enough height for a future lift and a possible deck for storage.

100 to 150 amp is good.
When I built my shop 25 years ago, I put in 200 amp just for the future, which came too.
It wasn't that much more to do it and I had enough amps already when my 60 ton press brake showed up last year :D
My advice is you can never go too big :cool:

Hey Sam

My son does solar installs all the time...here is a link to their facebook page...he swears by the stuff.....I am slowly starting to lean to his way of thinking....

https://www.facebook.com/PowerTomorrow

They go all over the country too.

Yes spray foam will rock the "R" value in the place...no more cold for you Sam..

Looks awesome from here...you are gonna love it..oh yeah 150 AMP minimum for the garage...IMHO...lots and lots of outlets too..

Good luck..

MikeC

Just my 2 cents...

I wanted 200 amps when I built mine, but my electrician neighbor/friend talked me out of it. Now, I don't have as much space as you Sam, but among other things, I had 4 welders and two plasmas. He said, "How many machines can you run at once? You're one man and only have two hands." (I never thought of it that way.)

That said, it was a matter of logistics and naturally, cost involved. Rather than run a dedicated service as I intended, he pulled 100A out of the 200A service in my house. 8 years later, I have never thrown a breaker (in either building) and still have "room" in both panels.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I'm excessive by nature and believe "too much is better than not enough"... but unless I receive three sons, a manufacturing contract and another 1000 square feet, I'll never exceed my power service.

Just my 2 cents...

I wanted 200 amps when I built mine, but my electrician neighbor/friend talked me out of it. Now, I don't have as much space as you Sam, but among other things, I had 4 welders and two plasmas. He said, "How many machines can you run at once? You're one man and only have two hands." (I never thought of it that way.)

That said, it was a matter of logistics and naturally, cost involved. Rather than run a dedicated service as I intended, he pulled 100A out of the 200A service in my house. 8 years later, I have never thrown a breaker (in either building) and still have "room" in both panels.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I'm excessive by nature and believe "too much is better than not enough"... but unless I receive three sons, a manufacturing contract and another 1000 square feet, I'll never exceed my power service.

Doc, I respect your opinion and you're right, one man can only use one machine.
Here's what happened to me.
By myself for 10 years then Son becomes a welder, 5 years later Son in-law shows up, who is a welder, all of us at one time or another want to use mig, tig or arc on a project at the same time :eek: 200 amps comes in pretty handy :cool:

By myself for 10 years then Son becomes a welder, 5 years later Son in-law shows up, who is a welder, all of us at one time or another want to use mig, tig or arc on a project at the same time :eek: 200 amps comes in pretty handy :cool:

Exactly! Our plans were that my shop was for my car stuff and we were going to build a smaller building for the wife's projects. Well, the "dip" in the economy affected our plans and now one corner of the "auto shop" is for stained and fused glass and other wife projects. Her kiln, extra lighting and outlets makes up 80 amps of my 200 amp panel. Add in my furnace (80 amps) the welder and plasma cutter circuits, ceiling fans, outlets and other lighting and I have over 350 amps worth of circuits in my 200 amp panel. When I was planning it I laughed at the electrician that told me a 200 amp panel wouldn't be enough and now I'm nearly double. If you can afford the extra cost of the 200 amp panel I'd do it as you never know what will change. Plus, the 200 amp service will be more attractive to a perspective buyer in the future should you decide to sell.

Thanks Old Iron, I respect your opinion likewise!

Sam: It's clear you're looking at this project from every angle and will make your decisions wisely. To borrow the words of a good friend, "I'm sure you'll do the right thing." :D

I have a similar situation as old iron. I have friends, cousins, nephews. etc that come to work on their own projects or help with or get hired to work with me on customer jobs. and we've been known to run two welders and the plasma cutter at the same time. also i have a large compressor and I have 150 amp service. I later added on a 16 x 50 addition for the machine shop equipment. I added another panel for that room. I'm not out of room in the panel but close. On a couple of other topics if you run a phone line out to the garage and dial 911 even if you can't talk the police and fire dept. will show up. The other thing you will really appreciate is a bathroom even if it is only a sink and a urinal. A way to save a lot of money when building is using salvage materials, windows, doors, electrical service,hot water heater, furnace, bathroom fixtures. ceiling fans etc in shop all came out of houses to be torn down or remodels. talk to friends that are contractors, use your imagination.

I would go with the 200 amp service. Your buddy comes over to help and he is using the plasma and you are welding, then the air compressor comes on. It all adds up real quick. Lights running all the time and a fridge. We have 200 amp at our shop, and it is close to maxed out.

Gas heater before next winter, and as soon as money allows, it will be hi-density spray foamed, which will also mean inside walls. I'm thinking about trying some passive solar heating too.

Not to shove anything down your throat... but I highly recommend a radiant floor. It costs more initially but pays for itself in short order. Tubing cost me $150 (for 1000 square foot building) and I spent a few extra bucks for thicker concrete and heavier rebar. (I have horrible shifty soil here.) I know guys who heat their shops with a gas-fired water heater (which is cheap, cheap, cheap on the fuel costs) but that no longer meets code in our area.

Just something I thought I'd share. I keep my shop heated 24/7 and it costs a fraction compared to forced air or radiant overhead tube. (not to mention my floor and tools are always warm. :D)

(not to mention my floor and tools are always warm. :D)

.[/QUOTE]

That ain't right! Now I've got floor envy.
But I can see why you would need it up there.

Yeah, I considered the in floor heat for awhile, but then remembered I can't even wear insulated boots in the winter or my feet sweat.

BTW, not much to report. Found 2 of the end poles were the wrong length so waiting for the right ones. The roof panels were also for a 4/12 pitch roof, mine is 6/12. Apparently part of my building got mixed up with another. The trusses and everything else are ok.

Haven't been able to do any work anyhow - the wind has been 20+mph everyday and usually the windchill has been around zero.

Finally getting there....
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP7726a.jpg
    IMGP7726a.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Back