Dead battery-Tools

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Misfit

I tell you... I get no respect!
I got some Hitachi battery tools,drills,saws,ect. The tools are great,but batterys are dead,again. Im thinking about putting a cord on them+hooking up to a car battery or one of those jump-packs. Has any of you done this before?

I use a cheap (like $20 cheap) 12V/110V inverter and plug the given charger into the inverter.

Not the same, but similar to this...

images

To the best of my understanding, the rate of charge is important to the tool's battery, so I use the manufacturer's charger with the inverter... three years now... so far, so good. :D

Im not talking about charging the batterys , I want to replace the batterys with a external battery .with a cord. I have bought new batt.s but they just dont last long. I work on rental units and sometimes the power is off, and I need something that will last. I might have to buy some new tools with the new type batt.s but before I do I might try a car batt, with a wire going to the tool,got nothing to lose..

I do use a power inverter in my tk to charge the batterys ,but they die fast. Im cutting out a rotten floor in a bath and my saw kills batt.s fast. I think I"ll try a car batt.

Sorry, I clearly misunderstood the question. :eek:

If you find a regular car battery doesn't cut it, a deep-cycle (marine/rv) should serve you better.

hook up two batteries in parellel and get 24V then juice those batteries for a few seconds, shocks them back to life... I need to post a how to on that...

Back when most tools were 12-14 volts. I had a drill I put a 20' wire and alligator clips on worked real well as long as you could reach the truck. lol

I have an old Milwaukee 12 volt drill (bought it in around 1991, I think) that I don't think I can even get batteries for anymore. I know there is a place I've seen advertised where they will replace the batteries in the battery cases you provide, but I haven't pursued it. Anyway, after the first battery went bad, I gutted it & connected a long cord, because at that time we lived in a place where there was no line power available, and we did not have a generator. We used only 12 VDC stuff, run off of solar panels. I had tried to recharge the drill battey with an inverter, but it burned out the inverter, and never charged the battery pack. I had our house wired with A/C receptacles, the type with 3 blades, and the main two at angles. That way nothing could be plugged in wrong. It took a long time, because it is not a hammer drill, but I actually drilled holes in cement with that set up. That was the only power tool I had there - any other drilling I did with a small Craftsman crank hand drill, or an old (REALLY old, like from back in the 1800's) hand crank drill press. You cranked it, and you could set the rate of downward pressure/progress with a thumb screw, or you could crank it down manually with the other hand.

Old post,I know.
You probably figured out what you needed to do.
The new lithium batteries are the way to go. They don't get a "memory" and give good consistent power. I'm pretty sure every cordless power tool company out there is using them. A lot of them offer bundles with multiple tools and batteries.
If your going to use a cord and car battery why wouldn't you use an extension cord and an inverter with a power tool?

Gunzenrosa, I work on rental property and there is no electric on,if nobody is living there. I was looking for a battery that would last a long time.I ended up just buying another drill--with two battery"s ...I might try something else later.

I found that sometimes it's not your battery that goes bad but your charger.

iSore

Gunzenrosa, I work on rental property and there is no electric on,if nobody is living there. I was looking for a battery that would last a long time.I ended up just buying another drill--with two battery"s ...I might try something else later.

You would need an awful long cord then. Lol.
If you haven't already give them lithium batteries a go. Well worth the extra dough.

YOU CAN BUY THE BATTERIES YOURSELF AND RELOAD YOUR HOUSING

they don't solder them they use a spotwelder to attatch the tabs.
You can upgrade to a higher milliamp hour rated battery and have better charge life.
The services that do this.... for the cost of the service you can spend a little more than buying new batteries and end up with rebuilt batteries that are far better.

My dewalt 18v lithiums have been going strong since 2010 and havn;t needed replaced yet.
the drill kit was about $350 though

I have some old makita drills I'm going to rebuild and upgrade the power on. nobody makes a drill handled from the rear anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtOS5evrqrQ

YOU CAN BUY THE BATTERIES YOURSELF AND RELOAD YOUR HOUSING

they don't solder them they use a spotwelder to attatch the tabs.
You can upgrade to a higher milliamp hour rated battery and have better charge life.
The services that do this.... for the cost of the service you can spend a little more than buying new batteries and end up with rebuilt batteries that are far better.

My dewalt 18v lithiums have been going strong since 2010 and havn;t needed replaced yet.
the drill kit was about $350 though

I have some old makita drills I'm going to rebuild and upgrade the power on. nobody makes a drill handled from the rear anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtOS5evrqrQ

I was about to ask how you reconnected the new batteries, when I saw the link. I saw that he just uses copper wire to reconnect them, and he mentioned that the wire is thicker than the steel strips (actually stainless steel, I think) used in the factory batteries. I think a person should be able to find a source for thin copper plate, or even just flatten copper wire, to more closely duplicate the original configuration. (I have taken some of these battery pack apart before, and also laptop batteries, but have never tried to rebuild one.)

Do you always stick with the same type of battery, like ni-cad vs lithium, & if not, can you use the same charger, or would you have to get a different one? If you just switch to a higher amperage battery (as I think i understand you to be saying), does the original charger handle that OK?

One more question: What is a good source for this type of batteries?

I was about to ask how you reconnected the new batteries, when I saw the link. I saw that he just uses copper wire to reconnect them, and he mentioned that the wire is thicker than the steel strips (actually stainless steel, I think) used in the factory batteries. I think a person should be able to find a source for thin copper plate, or even just flatten copper wire, to more closely duplicate the original configuration. (I have taken some of these battery pack apart before, and also laptop batteries, but have never tried to rebuild one.)

Do you always stick with the same type of battery, like ni-cad vs lithium, & if not, can you use the same charger, or would you have to get a different one? If you just switch to a higher amperage battery (as I think i understand you to be saying), does the original charger handle that OK?

One more question: What is a good source for this type of batteries?
i have a great drill that needs batteries.
i am gonna do it too sometime

Latest posts

Back