318 buick 2bbl truck misfires

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
Okay
My truck has what might be a dodge truck engine
It's connected to a 1974 np435 transmission anyway
I starts and idles ok but will misfire under acceleration.
It's been snowing for the last three days so I haven't even looked at the spark plugs yet.
I know that it got new ones about 100 miles ago.
I installed a clean fuel filter right before the carb but I haven't replaced the one right before the electric fuel pump.
New wires and distributor cap
What else that is basic should I look at

- Check your vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms. They should move freely.
- Look for a good, strong shot from the accelerator pump.
- Show us your carb and ignition.

You might want to replace the distributor cap and button...those look pretty shot...
As the Dr. suggested, do you observe a good squirt from the accelerator pump when you work the throttle?

Hey Billy.
What's happening?
From the looks of your rotor and cap I would almost bet you don't have a resistor in line for your ignition wire. If you feed the distributor with full
12+volts with out a resister that is what happens to your cap and rotor.

It will run good for a while and then get steadily worse as the contacts burn up.

Tell Dawn I said Hey.

Hey Billy.
What's happening?
From the looks of your rotor and cap I would almost bet you don't have a resistor in line for your ignition wire. If you feed the distributor with full

It will run good for a while and then get steadily worse as the contacts burn up.

Tell Dawn I said Hey.

I would bet that pops just found the issue! [P

Hey Billy.
What's happening?

Tell Dawn I said Hey.

i just looked
there is nothing between the keyed switch and the ignition system
i found this in the glovebox
is it what you are talking about?

You can check it with a multimeter. Hook 12v to one side and check the other.
These old dodge ignition are ancient but they work real well and last forever.

Yeah...what they said..

From the look of the points too....they looked burned...replace those parts and install that resister and you should be good to go....yep 6 to 8 volts after start...12volts to start only....so you'll need a bypass for cranking voltage and then thru the resister after start...:D

You know what's really scary???

We all knew exactly what you meant when you told us 318...Buick never even entered into the pic....LOL..

Latest posts

Back