My on going RR Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalTrain

Hello Friends.
My handle is CoalTrain but you can call me Ron or (Uncle Ron as my family calls me :p)
First off I like the simple 4 rules.. They are straight forward and to the point. I agree to all 4 and would hope others do likewise,

I am a early retired pharmacist with disabilities that prevent me from working any normal job. If you want to know just sent a personal message I would explain if your interested.

So I have a lot of time and not much money at this point in my life. Keeping an up beet attitude I have fun where ever I find it. At the moment I am involved in this 73 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup. It was given to me for helping a friend move. The drive train is in great shape but the body is trashed real bad. I eventually want to remove the box and replace it with a flat bed. Until then I am camouflaging the rust bucket with this Orca theme. When my friend (a top mechanic) saw what I started he informed me of your web site. I liked what I found and joined right up.

My purpose here is not to get recognition, that would be nice, but rather I would like to document in pictures my progress with the "Orca - Rat Rod". I might even get advise or make a friend along the way... Today I am posting a lot of pictures as a foundation for my walk through the restoration of the truck. I have no passion for chrome. The basic premise of this site is exactly how I feel about making a rust bucket my pride and joy. In fact it is now but the drive to do more is; hammer down - full speed ahead. :)

I will keep you informed as I make progress wiith my Orca...

Ron:cool: Orca 8-10-09 01.JPG

Attachments

• Orca 8-10-09 02.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 02.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Orca 8-10-09 03.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 03.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Orca 8-10-09 04.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 04.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Orca 8-10-09 05.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 05.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi again.
I am trying to add photos and I think if I reply - you can see more...??
Lets see..
Ron

Attachments

• Orca 8-10-09 06.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 06.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Orca 8-10-09 07.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 07.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Orca 8-10-09 08.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 08.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Orca 8-10-09 09.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 09.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 8
  • Orca 8-10-09 10.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 10.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 11
I think that worked.

If anyone knows a better way to add photos to my profile / I could use your knowledge.

ron

Attachments

• Orca 8-10-09 12.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 12.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Orca 8-10-09 16.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 16.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 9
  • Orca 8-10-09 15.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 15.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Orca 8-10-09 14.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 14.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Orca 8-10-09 11.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 11.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 2
my Orca Project

There / I have uploaded today's photos.

If I did this incorrectly.... forgive me, I just didn't know how to get pics onto my profile.

ron

Attachments

• Orca 8-10-09 16.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 16.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 6
  • Orca 8-10-09 17.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 17.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Orca 8-10-09 18.JPG
    Orca 8-10-09 18.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to the RRR.....

My basic theory is to build what you have, build it safe, & have fun in the process.....

My build thread is under my signature. Check it out and let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

For the record, I have about 800.00 in my truck right now.

Welcome to RRR, Ron. Your going about it right. Have fun with your build & drive the daylights out of it !

To: Rev

Rev FlatBroke,
Thank you for your input.
I love your 47's (Chec & Plym). That was a great era for body styles! You have a wonderful pair of vary cool rigs there... My complements to you , Sir.
My 73 Chec was free and I have about $400+ into it now. Like many of us, I have vary little extra funds to build a fancy rig. I think I have spent around $25 for the 2 dozen cans of Walmart spray paint so far. LOL It's my way of hiding all the rust and dings. People look at my painting and not the flaws. I plan on taking the box off next summer and building a flat bed on the back. I would like to use 2 beer kags behind the cab / in front of the rear wheels BUT I don't think they would be DOT approved without some sort of bladder in them... If that's the case plan B is to build 2 diamond plate aluminum tool boxes for both sides and mount a gas tank in the center of the frame above the drive rod just below the bed. i will explore both options this winter and come up with something by spring.
I was told that between 73 and 79 all quarter panels and doors were the same. If that is the case I should have no problem replacing the rusted cab body with junk yard parts. I want to learn how to weld also. There is no better and fun way to learn than to get a TIG welder and weld the areas when parts are not available. As in the floor of the cab.
God is with me every moment of every day and sometimes his plans are different than mine. I have faith that his judgment is the correct plan. I will see how things go. I may not stick to my plans if something better is brought my way. For now I am having too much fun to describe. After all it is my belief that God wants me to be happy and to pass the happiness on to others. That I think is the under laying message in all his teachings. My favorite 2 parts of the new testament are: Sermon on the Mt. and the Last Supper.

God Bless you and yours.
Ron

Attachments

• Ron 9-11-2004 2.JPG
    Ron 9-11-2004 2.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 5
Coal,
Here was my solution for cheap patch panels... all bought on the cheap on eBay!

BoB

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 22
  • attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 16
Re: quote by
dmw56
Busted and Rusted on Route 66
"dmw...Livin' on Route 66 Too bad you can't fix stupid! "

I think I know the meaning to "not fixing stupid...."

I often say, : "There are a LOT of idiots out there...!
And what scares me the most is...
They are Breading !"
:)
Ron

Last edited:
Bob's RR

Bob,

Now that is a brilliant Idea you came up with. The license plates I mean.
It's outside the box and vary creative, innovative, original, artistic and just plane Cool!

Good for you, I admire out of the box type thinking...

Regards
Ron

Attachments

• Rat Fink 01.jpeg
    Rat Fink 01.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 3
Welcome, Ron. I'm new too, but these guys will make you feel right at home. And my guess is that the answer to ANYTHING about ratrods is here. Good Luck and God Bless.

Latest posts

Back