'57 Desoto Hemi

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRooster46

I have a line on a pretty complete 341, sans carb, brackets, gen, & starter. Its extremely clean. The question is what, in Real world figures, are these in general going for these days. You may see them on ebay or CL for $1000-$1500+ (as is), but Ive yet to see any sell in that price range. Whats real world and what seems like a fair price?

Thanks

I have a seized 56 291 fire dome complete from pan to carb. I cant get anything for so out to scrap it goes in the spring. Im keeping the valve covers for wall art.

My Son has a 291 Desoto that he paid $400 for, not seized but will need a complete rebuild. As mentioned, the Desoto engines are the hardest to find parts for and cost a bit more to build. But a hemi is a hemi and worth it.

Don

There is an off chance that this engine was rebuilt before the current owner got a hold of it. Its Extremely clean under the valve covers and valley pan and using a flashlight down the spark plug holes the pistons look shiny new. He received the engine from an elderly gentleman who was on his death bed a few years ago but doesnt know for a fact that the engine was rebuilt. Theres a cast iron manual bellhousing that he got with the engine but I have yet to check it against the engine to see if its a definite match or not. Any brackets I might need if I couldnt find them I could make them and a carb could be adapted to it, the only kicker might be the bellhousing/trans and starter.

Red

I have a seized 56 291 fire dome complete from pan to carb. I cant get anything for so out to scrap it goes in the spring. Im keeping the valve covers for wall art.

Damn I hate seeing anything go to China via the scrap man, if we were closer neighbors you wouldnt have to scrap it. Do you have the Desoto script spark plug wire covers? The engine Im looking at is missing them. This engine is a Fireflite engine but I wouldnt mind it if it had Firedome covers.

Red

I shot the guy an offer on the hemi tonite, he was expecting a little more but hes pondering it. If I get it I get it, if I dont then I dont, I gotta be budget minded. I just pulled my '59 Bel Air back in the shop after quite some time to hopefully finish it, in a timely manner. Oh, the hemi was rebuilt by a previous owner, I pulled the pans and you could almost eat off of it and the cam hasnt even been "spun" yet, everythings shiny clean.

Red

Sounds like it just needs disassembled, cleaned, maybe rehoned, and put back together with new gaskets. Hemis are not only cool motors they are tough as nails, so it takes very little to bring them back to life. I know Gastrick loves the one in his 32, and so does everyone who sees it . :D

I hope you get it and it works out for you.
Don

That Hemi would look nice in that 59 Chev??

The '59 only has about 4500 on a rebuilt drivetrain. .040 over 283 w/ 268 Comp cam, double hump heads, Edelbrock carb, Mallory Unilite distributor, Vette large dump Ram horns w/30" glasspacks, 4 spd and 3.70 gears. When I have more time Ill tell the story of how this engine came to be in my car, its sumthn else.

Red

It sounds like workin class may have the missing parts you will need if you get it. Why not get in touch with him and see since he will be scraping it anyhow. Just a thought. ;)

It sounds like workin class may have the missing parts you will need if you get it. Why not get in touch with him and see since he will be scraping it anyhow. Just a thought. ;)

[S Why didnt I think of that. Thanks roddguy1. The shipping might hurt but its worth a PM.

Red

So, a deals been struck with the Hemi, I may be picking it up tonite. Included are- the Hemi, which we have determined was rebuilt by the previous owner but never completed and ran (completed long block), the original intake, both exhaust manifolds (already installed), a spare oil pan, oil fill tube and cap, the original distributor, water pump (already installed), harmonic balancer and lower pulley and valve covers and tubes. Also bonuses thrown in- A New Process 540 5spd transmission, which may be the rare overdrive version with matching bellhousing. And to me a super bonus, a W & H DuCoil distributor for the Hemi, the model number is A210 or A21C, dual points and dual coils, Ill know the numbers better when I get it home and clean it up but I do know its for the Hemi.
Would anyone want to venture a guess as to the amount that this lot might be worth or one might give?

Red

I'm not sure on the value, but I say it's hard to go wrong if it's any kind of fair deal. The early hemi's aren't getting any cheaper and there's only so many of them left. I'll add what Don eluded to earlier, I've been very happy with my Chrysler hemi and I'm glad I went with it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The Hemi has a new home, here are some photos. The bellhousing, 1568300-1, D85, pressure plate and flywheel, from what Ive found were for 55-56 Dodge medium duty trucks using a 13" clutch and is a direct bolt on to the Desoto Hemi, as is the NP 540 5 speed. My guess is that, however many years ago, the engine went bad in the Dodge truck and was replaced with the Desoto Hemi. The engine and all items previously posted were acquired for $1000. I am missing a few things for the engine that I will be on the look out for, hey "workin class". If anyone has any parts, give me a pm.

Red

Attachments

• 341 DesotoHemi 010.jpg
    341 DesotoHemi 010.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 341 DesotoHemi 001.jpg
    341 DesotoHemi 001.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 341 DesotoHemi 002.jpg
    341 DesotoHemi 002.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 341 DesotoHemi 004.jpg