vintage intake...216,235,....261?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRooster46

im looking at purchasing a vintage intake for my '54 261 that the guy claims is for a 216 and 235, all the intakes ive seen that will fit a 235 will also fit a 261, true or untrue?

RR46, I just checked with my friend who was the tech. editor of the Stovebolt Page a few years ago. The manifold will fit all three engines. The 216 has smaller ports. The 235 & 261 have the same size ports.

True.

But unless you find someting really rare, I'd look at buying a new peice.
Offy makes a 3 & a 2 1bbl intake. Speedway motors sells them.

just for the sake of no cracks stripped threads etc.

just my 2 pennies.

Regards,
-Mike-

bob.....did the early 235 have the smaller ports like the 216 and then they changed them to the larger ports later or have they always been like the 261 ports (larger)?

caddad65.....the intake is a Thickstun "dogbone", very kool looking intake, but how rare im not sure. good point though.

by the way bob i used loctite 680 on my spindle bushings and boy howdy that stuff really grabs quick, i had to work pretty fast. of course i wont know for positive till its on the road but with a 4000 psi shear strength i think itll be just fine. thanks!

My expert says all 235's & 261's have the same port size. He likes the 216 manifolds because they have the small base carb mounts. He bores the ports out for intstallation on a 235 or 261.

just found out the guy has a set of "stepped" port rings to adapt to a 235. is there an advantage to small base carb mounts or is it just his personal preference? bores out the ports to accept the larger rings for a 235/261 or bores them deeper in for better flow? i hope this intake will be worth it, i may be goin for broke on this thing.

I believe he bores them just to accept the larger rings, The small base carb deal is just his preference. I don't know what carbs he prefers. If you have additional questions, I'll be glad to ask Barry.

bob.....did the early 235 have the smaller ports like the 216 and then they changed them to the larger ports later or have they always been like the 261 ports (larger)?

My 1949 235 "hi-torque" motor has a 216 head, according
to the casting numbers.
The very early 235's used the same head as the 216.

As for "small base" versus "large base", I assume you mean single
barrel carb vs 2 barrel (like a Stromberg 97).
I prefer the single barrel, personal choice. I am using Stromberg
BXOV single barrel carbs (3 on a McGurk manifold), I have also
used Rochester singles.
I just find the singles easier to work with. '22

My friend Barry looked at the set up you pointed out on eBay. He has seen Tickstun manifolds go from $300 to as high as $600. He doesn't know anything about the carbs on the manifold, or their value. Barry collects manifolds for these engines and has over 20 of them, including an nos Thickstun. Obviously, it's not for sale. He does have other manifolds for sale and knows other guys with manifolds for sale. So, if your deal doesn't work out, I can get you in touch with him.

Latest posts

Back