6v positive ground 46 dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRooster46

i believe the 46 dodge truck im building was originally positive ground, its going to be 12 volt negative ground running an old 12 volt generator to keep her vintage. everythings gonna get replaced with the proper 12v neg ground goodies but theres 2 things stock that id like to reuse, the fuel gauge and the amps gauge, any ideas out there on how to safely use these gauges with a 12v neg ground instead of the original 6v pos ground?

when I did my plymouth I didn't do anything with the amp guage and just used a 6v drop for the fuel guage no problems.

I just found a 1961 hot rod type book that was in my collection, and it has one of the best articles I have ever seen on converting 6 to 12 volts..........goes into a lot of detail and is quite long. I have a scanner but have to figure out how to use it and I will post up the entire article if it will reproduce. Lots of you guys are evidently doing these conversions, so it might prove useful. The article was written back when this was being done a lot, so it has some very good info in it.

Give me a little while and I will put it up here.

Don

There's a nice little book available from speedway that cover's everything you need to know to do this, but basically it has been covered. If going from positive ground to neg. ground you will have to switch the leads to your ammeter ( if not, it'll read backwards), and the resistors for gauges are available on eBay. Don't forget your dash lights, they won't last long (ask me how I know that :rolleyes:) You will also need a heavier amp resistor for you heater blower motor, if you chose to keep the stock one. It can also be found on eBay.

Latest posts

Back