1940 Chevrolet spindles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRooster46

im having a hard time finding a pair of spindles for my 1940 1/2 ton chevrolet chassis. my question is can these be had new and if so where? or is it possible to have the originals machined and sleeved to accept the new standard bushings?

ive checked both sites...lots of ford stuff of the era but nothing that old for chevrolet...i appreciate the tip though.

Do you have the original spindles? If so, what is wrong with them? Can you post a picture of them?

There's another place up here in Canada "Scotts Super Trucks" that carries 1932-72 Chevy and GMC truck parts that has a pretty good selection of parts. I think he has rebuilt stuff as well. There isn't a website but his phone number is 403-886-5572, he's in Penhold, Alberta just north of Calgary. They have a '32-'46 catalogue but mines a '47-'54 or I could look it up.

Sean

hey bob w, i got a new kingpin kit, before i pressed out the old bushings, i noticed that they had "spun" to where the grease holes were not lined up,hard telling for how long, they came out in one piece but with alot of "leafy" bushing material. anyway after i had cleaned them with solvent and went to press in the new bushings, well, they just fell straight through. am i not as screwed as i think i am with the original spindles?

RR46, I have a friend that specializes in '40 Chev trucks. I have lunch with him on Wednesdays and I'll ask him about your problem. He is a machinist and will know if it is practical to save your spindles. Otherwise, he might have some to sell.
Bob

I had lunch today with my friend, the '40 Chev truck expert. First, there are no new reprduction truck spindles. He has spindles but doubts they are any better than the ones you have. A number of solutions were suggested by my gang of 5.
1. Same as on the stovebolt site, make new bushings out of brass.
2. Have your new kingpin bushings nickle plated on the outside to increase their o.d. When pushing them in the spindle bores, the excess nickle plate will "peel" off.
3. Install the bushings with Locktite stud and bearing mount. It should take up the clearance.
The group contained 2 machinists, one Model T restorer and 2 hot rodders with lots of experience. We all thought any of the solutions woiuld work. Of course, the machinists wanted to make new bushings. If the bores in the spindles are worn into an oval shape, then it would be worth a try to use the Locktite bearing mount. Won't cost much to try.
Good luck with your project.

bob w , i extremely appreciate the time and effort that you and your gang have put into a total strangers predicament, many thanks. i didnt know loctite had such a product, sounds like some serious "glue". i just took another look at the spindle bores, they dont appear to be ovaled, but they do have just enough even wear that the new bushing spins freely in the spindle bore. think ill try the loctite first, and if that doesnt fly then ill visit my local machine shop. thanks again!

Latest posts

Back