Loner?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh, I've always had trouble with finding someone with the same visions. Got plenty of 'car talk' friends but none who want really work and do it the 'old school' way.

Also been thru 3 wives in 30 years. It always started out ' he's got a cool set of wheels', but after the ceremony it's like I'm suppose to give it all up and do what they want to do.

Well, on the 4th one now and it's been 12 years and she keeps kickin me to get the 40 PU done that I had when we met so she can drive it. I just been doin other projects that have had less work to complete them.

I actually prefer to work alone. As long as I got my music going, I'm fine. The wife's always around for help when I need it. Also, get the stray neighbor that comes to check out what I'm working on. It's my time for relaxing when I'm working on the projects.

i'm glad to hear just about everyone else is in the same boat. :D I've been wondering for a while why I don't have any friends to help me with stuff but lately i've realized most people just are not that interested in it. I'm better off working alone and hanging out with friends at applebee's or something.

Also, the last couple times i have had people help me, they always want to talk me out of my "vision" or do things the easy way. I'd rather not do it at all unless I can do it right and as perfect as possible at the time. Most people would rather just slap it together and call it good, or they would rather drink my beer and complain :rolleyes:. My wife makes a great helper, i've had to learn to be less bossy but she respects my "vision" and perfectionism so we've been working well together lately. I also think she wants to get my truck done so we can start spending money on her volvo :p.

I am in the same boat as the rest of you. Always working alone on the Lasalle. I live in a neightborhood of older folks that had lived here since the 50s. They have to think I'm crazy because I catch myself talking to myself a lot. THe music cranked and much beating and sparks.

Here in Louisville, you hear about a lot car clubs but you never actually see them until the shows. All seem to have a different view(or larger bank account/debt) than I.

The wife, like Joes, can actually see what I see and she is all the help I've got. I too had to learn how not to be so bossy, now everything works well. With the heavy stuff, A cherry picker can be used many different ways when you balance the load.

Lonely and liking it in Louisville.:cool:

HAHAHAHAHAHA Jeff, you are my friend but you never call anymore hehehehehe actually I just cant get motivated but I usually work on my stuff alone.

Jim

Hi Ronny,

Lets talk about being loners in the rat rod world. There is only one other guy within 50 miles of me that is into rats. He is a pretty cool guy and we swap parts all the time. Everyone else just looks at what I have built, they shake their head and then ask when I am going to paint it? My reply, it is painted, so what if its three different colors and I didnt tape it off when I rattle can painted it. They just dont understand, but then again, think about how dull the world would be if everyone shared your point of view....

The other common thing here is that we are on this board. Think about that for a minute, We can get help when we need it, take or leave any advise given, and go back to the shop and try to work things out all by ourselves.
When I am in the shop, sometimes I will sit and study the problem for a long time to try and work it out myself. Afterwards if what I did works, I kind of nod, pat myself on the back a little, and tell myself that I have invented something no one else would have ever thought of. Then I come on here and find out everybody does it the same way.

Reason4 is constantly on my case about spending too much time in the shop, but when I get the truck done, she is going to be the first one to "Want" to be seen driving it around.....:D.....She gladly helps me in the shop when I ask but I'm not askin her to help lift heavy things. There is the teenager that lives nextdoor I can call for that....

Aside from that, I like being in the shop alone. I find it to be my solitude for the most part. (as long as there is good music jammin in the background)

Ideas and inspiration, don't ask...
Sometimes I question myself. I find that in the most unusual places. Sometimes the guys in my "Unit" ask what is going on with my truck, so I log onto here and they give me good constructive feedback. Like Bonehead said, you can use the advice (or not) without offending anyone.

LONER,
Can be a good thing. Keep your chin up and stay focused on your project.

Reason4 is constantly on my case about spending too much time in the shop, but when I get the truck done, she is going to be the first one to "Want" to be seen driving it around.....:D.....She gladly helps me in the shop when I ask but I'm not askin her to help lift heavy things.

I am always wanting to help out with the truck! I don't mind getting greasy and dirty working on cars and trucks! Seen driving?! More like seen flyin and screaming the tires....LOL :D I am very curious to see what this truck will do!

Balance between the two (wives and projects) is all it takes guys. :D

Well maybe "loner" is not the right term buty I think you all understand given the responses.................just wondered if I was in the minority in this department. I DO like being alone on my stuff most of the time and agree about the shop being my sanctuary as well especially when the wife and son start goin at each other (he has ADHD) .........lol

The other thing that was pretty common was cranking up the tunes. I listen to all kinds of music. Music for me put me in the correct mood. When I build Cowboy furniture, I listen to whiney old cowboy songs, When I rock and roll, skulls come out. Somewhere in between, I get a rock crawler, or a hot rod.

I was hoping when I started this project me and buds could hang out and build this thing but none of my friends are interested in building. So now I really enjoy my days in the garage by myself and like Bonehead said cranking up the tunes is nice. I have a great stereo in my garage and listen to everything from Johny Cash to Rage Against the Machine. I can't believe how sometimes I will spend all day and into the night into the garage and not even know it. All the people on here though are so helpful and nice, it is kinda like having people help you they just can't pick anything up for you LOL:D

I know this is an old thread, but I know want you mean. By the time I wanted to try to build a hotrod (Rat Rod) Everyone I knew either grew tired of the car ,(or working on cars period) and basically quit, said the car was too old to mess with, or didn`t mess with cars to begin with.
And since I`m basically Mechanically de- inclined, mostly all I ever get accomplished is going to the shop, turning on the radio and staring at the car....... Dang ,I`m depressed!:(

1-800-WAA-AAAA
I'm usually alone in the garage too. :D Really not a problem though. I get more work done that way, and most don't understand my vision anyway.

I think that's cause I'm a freakin genius........ did I spell that right ?? :rolleyes:

[cl That's funny right there, I dont care who you are.

Yeah, I'm on my own too. My kids have lives so they are not usually around unless I know I need help and call em. But I also like the solitude. I dont have to talk to anyone, allows me to concentrate and I look at it as therapy. I talk to enough boneheads (sorry Bonehead :eek: ) at work. My truck doesnt say stupid $h!t.

I know this is an old thread, but I know want you mean. By the time I wanted to try to build a hotrod (Rat Rod) Everyone I knew either grew tired of the car ,(or working on cars period) and basically quit, said the car was too old to mess with, or didn`t mess with cars to begin with.
And since I`m basically Mechanically de- inclined, mostly all I ever get accomplished is going to the shop, turning on the radio and staring at the car....... Dang ,I`m depressed!:(

Hey man, funny you should bring this post alive. I have not been on this site for a very long time but it just sent me an email saying that someone posted. Last time i posted i lived in south florida, now i live about 20 min from you! Im in Cleveland, Ga

Yep... I'm in the garage by me own self too. If I absolutely need a helping hand... Mrs. Tripper will fill in in a pinch. I'm used to it & as everyone knows... I'm pretty speedy when it comes to gittin' it done! :eek:[S[ddd:D

BoB

A lot has happened in my life since posting this......I have come to really enjoy my time in the shop by myself , of course now its my shop that I built myself and own the land its on so makes a difference

Last edited:
Hey, Racedude! I was wondering if there were anyone else up in this neck of the woods! How`re you doing?

Doing good, working on a 46 chevy truck now. Finished my coupe, 72 honda cafe racer and a 1970 Chapman laydown drag bike, sold my 53 Chevy lowrider (avatar pic). Where is your shop? What other toys do you have? Email me some time at [email protected]

About the loaner thing, I was in the same boat as you. All of the people got tired of the old cars and moved on. I always felt i was the one helping others but got no help back. Dont get me wrong, my friends would be there if i asked for help but know one wanted to help. Now i take pride that i do all the work. Nothing goes out unless i know i cant do it myself. I have a bought the tools i need to help get it done, i look on the internet at youtube and i learn how to do it. I learned how to look at the car and pick one thing as the days project, When that project is done i clean up and pick a new project.

In the old days i would say "i need to get this car done" now i say "i need to get that rust cut out today" Baby steps

Latest posts

Back