Engine Endurance

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkadams123

We ran our 302 in an Engine Endurance activity at the State SkillsUSA Conference last week. We run engines at WOT without coolant to see what happens. It is a fun activity for all the kids that attend.

The week before, we got the engine running but it was knocking. We dropped the pan and found loose rod caps and pieces of a piston skirt. We torqued the caps and buttoned it up for the trip north.

Our motor mounts held, but you can hear the connecting rod snap, then see it fall out on the ground a few seconds later. After tearing it down, we found that 3 rods broke, one cylinder had a hole in it, and the cam was in 6 pieces.

Here is the video. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWS9w...ature=youtu.be

That motor sounded like it didn't want to give up. Reminded me of an old Chrysler wagon a friend left in my yard a long time ago. I called the junk man to come get it and thought it would be fun to blow it up before he got there. I threw a battery in, cranked it up and threw a brick on the gas petal. That darn 383 sat there just screaming for maybe fifteen minutes before it ran out of gas. I was thinking maybe that might have been a good motor to keep but, after 15 minutes of probably 6,000 rpm, it was too late for that.

Latest posts

Back