Looking for an Interstate drivetrain ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

HI Everyone

I am in the process of trying to assemble a drivetrain for a Willys cab, fenders & hood I recently procurred. I really wanna rat rod to take on 500 mile round trips on the interstate to visit my daughter and her daughter. I dont really need 4 wheel drive either.
I would love to get maybe a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder with a 5 speed American made drivetrain. I would love simple and basic. I dont need any frame draggin or all jacked up radical stuff either.....something basic with easy parts availablity from a local auto parts store. If I can purchase a whole vehicle than cannibalize everything I need that would be the cheapest way to go.

Any insight from you guys would be great...

MikeC

In that case I would be tempted to use a S-10 drive train with a 5-speed, rear end and all. I personally wouldn't use the frame but many people do.

Toad

budget?

if the budget allows, a good after market chassis and a fairly stock small block with a overdrive/5 speed might be a area to look into.

what suspension do you want? 4-link, leafs, or a tri-link in the rear and up front a straight axle or lFS?

the driveabilty will depend on these factors, good planning makes for a good driver.

if the frame on the willy's is in good shape, a camaro/nova sub-frame or a fatman style kit may work for the front end.

tall gears, 3:OO or 3:25 & using a ford 9 inch or a chevy rearend will help with the parts being available almost every where and fuel mileage. some C or Z notching in the rear of the stock frame rails maybe needed to clear everything, especially if it is lowered.

hope this helps,

Later :cool:

HI Skull

My budget...hmmmm.....I would like to purchase if possible something running for under $1000.00 and then strip it down to the frame and pillage all the running gear and suspension too if possible...I don't have any kind of frame from the Willys...the fellow bought a running Willys truck and they threw in the cab and various other body parts as part of the package...I came in and bought the body parts....

So this thing is really a blank slate for sure...I would like to stay away from computers but they seem to really have a lot of benefits if you think about it...so I guess I would be open to something with that type of stuff....nothing super complicated tho...

I currently drive a 1999 S10 as a daily driver...I love it but boy when I get under the hood it gets really confusing at times...

Please keep the thoughts and ideas coming....I am open to any and all suggestions...you guys are awesome on here...

MikeC

If you are going full fenders all the way around s10 by far is the easy way, you get power everything and front disc brakes. Others make work fine to, but you probably going to have to live with 6 lug rims.

I tried the S10 but the steering box is pain. Dakota is good with the rack & pinion steering. Look for something with a rack or the steering gear behind the front axle.

Being a Ford guy first, I'd look into an old Crown vic or Gran Marquis. You can buy one dirt cheap and use the whole drivetrain and the efi is pretty easy to hook up since you have all the harness and everything. Expect low to mid 20s for mileage. Even the old 2 bbl., 3 speed 260s and 289/302 Fairlanes and Torinos were 25 mpg cars. Add a 5 speed and even the barn door aerodynamics of the Wilys should still be right in there. Throttle body 305 chevy is another good economical power plant and a decent cruiser. I don't think you will squeeze much better economy from a 4 or 6 banger and you have some snort if you need it, plus the sweet sound of a V8 that no 4 or 6 can ever come close to.

Ford Ranger or Explorer. 4 cyl or V6 power, good frames for a full fender car. 98 back, no PATS to worry with. Standard small 5 bolt Ford bolt pattern on the wheels.

Latest posts

Back