engine debate..what do you like n why???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

hello.
got a oppinion post on two big block engines.

both are mid 70's big blocks!

one is a 75 cadillac 500! rated at 210 horses @ 3600 rpm's and 360 ft lbs at 2000 rpm's.[cl

2nd is a 76 chrysler 440! rated at 190 horses @ 3600 rpm's and 320 ft lbs of tourque @ 2000 rpm's.[cl

I know the insurance companies under rated the engines due to rates so im guessing you can add another 50 horses n 50 ft lbs of tourque to each one.

75 caddy n tranny is low miles and so is the 440 n tranny.

Just wondered what yer thoughts were on em? Tnx, RR

SBC

for me is is gotta be the original small block chevy.

l learned to love and work on them as a kid and really got attached to the little buggers[cl

l grew up racing circle track cars with mostly SBC's and when dad passed l inherited a few and l had a stash from my hot rod & racing youth so beside's having interchangeability between motor parts & tranny choices without much hassle and great longevity if treated right, decent power for a small budget, reliability, pretty easy to work on & part of my decision is l already had a bunch.

Later :cool:

I'm partial to anything Ford. Small Chevy's are good too, I have two, one in the Vette and one in the Lincoln. The one in the Lincoln I'm going to run a while, but will eventually get swapped for a Ford.

As to the two engines you asked about, both are good alternatives to Ford's and Chevy's if that is what you are looking for. I would lean more toward the MoPar just because there is more aftermarket support such as intakes, cams, headers, etc.

I would go with the 440. More after market parts available over the
Caddy. With a little bit of head work, a cam and an intake manifold
you can make the 440 come alive if that's what you want.

After driving my Dodge with the 440, I'm not really in a hurry to get
more out of it. It will lite the tires with duals and get 6 miles to the
gallon. What more could you ask for besides an AOD transmission?

I like the 500. Sure, there's not the aftermarket parts like the 440 but, if you're just cruisin', who needs all the extras? And there's not a lot of rods running around with a Caddy. I had a 73 ElDorado with a 500 that I had plans of using the whole power train in the back of a Datson pickup. Got broke and sold the gas hog instead. My vote is the 500. Good luck with whatever you use.

Latest posts

Back