Hopin' u got u're antifreeze on!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Well... a while back i thought i better git my antifreeze on & sure glad i did! I made sure all my stuff was up to par cause there's nothin' like havin' to do it while it's already freezin'!!! Nothin' like a cracked block to make a grown man cry!
BoB

We have 35* right now but this winter is a block buster for sure , havnt had a winter like this in a long time .. we usually have mild winters here in lower Alabama .. you know 70* s in January then back to 40*s then back to 60* , but this time the cold is hanging in there . ( I hate cold weather ):mad:

Yep! It'll split a radiator too. My 63 was getting slushy when I checked it a couple weeks ago. Good mix, but it was parked facing the wind. It got moved.

What kind of 63 have you got ? I have a home-made 65 f-100 4x4 . I love that thing .. i'll get it where I can drive it daily if I want to (one day) needs some little stuff to get it dependable.

05-23-10_141.jpg[/ATTACH]

Don't usually have to go through any extra efforts down here. I've got little anti-freeze in one of mine right now, but I've been running lights under it. Mid 20s is not normal here either...

Don't usually have to go through any extra efforts down here. I've got little anti-freeze in one of mine right now, but I've been running lights under it. Mid 20s is not normal here either...

I usually get to (brag) on our t-shirt weather down here in Jan. every year to my cousins in Ohio.. but not this year we have been keeping about 10* apart sometimes . But it is about 8* up there right now . so I guess I cant complain (much) :D Oh, (I hate cold weather !!)

I don't know how some of you guys do it. I never got comfy in my metal barn today....work on the truck was short.

I have a diesel heater that blows like a jet .. but it will drink up almost a gallon and hr. so if its cold I stay inside . Well below 40 anyway..

So what do the Artic Circle boys run a 100% antifreeze? Or is it all on the block heaters?

A 50/50 mix is suppose help boilovers according to the propaganda. Back in 89 I worked a summer in Mesa AZ at the helicopter plant and it was 115* everyday for three weeks. No overheating but some vaporlocks.

So what do the Artic Circle boys run a 100% antifreeze? Or is it all on the block heaters?

A 50/50 mix is suppose help boilovers according to the propaganda. Back in 89 I worked a summer in Mesa AZ at the helicopter plant and it was 115* everyday for three weeks. No overheating but some vaporlocks.

70/30 is maximum to my understanding. 100% antifreeze can turn solid, or more appropriately, gel in extreme cold.

Glycol has a higher boiling point than water and like Mr. McGurk said, we run it year 'round. In my neck of the woods, summer temps can break 100 and -40 (or worse) in the dead of winter. Needless to say, maintenance is important here and block heaters are a must. I put a 1700W monster in my diesel and some guys run two (smaller) heaters in their big blocks. :D

I didn't think there was anyone who didnt run it, it has other benefits like corrosion prevention as well as the higher boiling point...

Good point!

The only place I see straight water is at the race track. A/F spills are difficult to remove and slick as snot on a doorknob. (For that reason its against "house rules" and they'll bounce you for dropping glycol on the track.)

Nothin' like a cracked block to make a grown man cry!

A friend of mine cracked one some years ago. (It was a race car, so had straight water in it.) Stored in a heated garage, the furnace went down while he was away for a few days... and well, you know. :eek:

I forgot to check mine........................Oh nevermind. I don't need any. :D I did make sure it is good in my truck, wife's, stepson's cars. I worked at a radiator shop in the mid 80's in Knoxville and it was 24 below. A guy pulled in dragging a 4 core radiator from a 70's Grand Prix that was a solid block of ice. Both tanks were split and it too 2 of us to pick it up. He wanted to patch it up until he could have the money to fix it right. Old gut that worked there said" Son, ya done ruined it, aint no fixin that one"
Tim

Latest posts

Back