Hopin' u got u're antifreeze on!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We refer to it as coolant down here more often than anti-freeze and I know several running 100%. With this weather we have....generally, it's not worried about too much. The way it's been lately though, it would be easy to get caught with your pants down. 26 a day ago, 70s tomorrow...
We got weather with a female mind...if ya don't like what's going on now, wait a few minutes...it'll change!
I changed a hose on my dd the other day and didn't have any coolant around so mine is mostly water....I think I may get some if this on again-off again stuff keeps up.:rolleyes:

running 100% coolant isn't good in summer either. The coolant actually hinders heat transfer from what I have read.

I took the radiator cap off and looked at the coolant in the fall. Never did remember to actualy put the gauge in there after that.:eek: At this point Id have to say its safe if I made it through the arctic blasts without issues. Now tomorrow the radiator will split open:rolleyes:

50/50 antifreeze to water ratio is best, it's good for -35f.

straight antifreeze will turn to jello at freezing temps and don't flow too well.

also if not running the above ratio of coolant to add some anti rust additive to your cooling system to keep it from going acidic and turning the coolant too tomato soup look alike.

Like everyone else has said, you don't want to run straight antifreeze. The water helps lubricate the seals and such in the water pump. We always ran antifreeze in the stockcar too, but a lot of guys were switching to WaterWetter which raises the boiling temp of just running straight water.

Up here in the frozen northland we jackpine savages usually run a 50-50 mixture of antifreeze and water. In fact, you can buy 50-50 pre-mixed gallons. That way you get to pay big bucks for the water, but for the lazy it is probably worth it.
Checking the back of a gallon jug, the matrix shows for instance a 14 quart cooling system will be protected to -34 F with 7 quarts of antifreeze, -54 F with 8 quarts and -68 F with 9 quarts. The grid does not show anything above 9 quarts for a 14 quart system as there is no additional benefit.

With a 15 psi cap, a 50-50 mixture will have a boiling point to 265 F. A 60% mixture will be 270 F.

However, for cooling system efficiency (heat transfer) plain water is better than an antifreeze/water mixture.

I believe Water Wetter helps remove bubbles that can form on the interior walls of the engine, acting as little thermal insulators. Removing the bubbles restores the water to its full heat transfer capability.

also in some areas where you have a high mineral content in the tap water you will get more corrosion when mixing it your self and for some reason it eats through the cylinder liners in diesel engines real fast if you use tap water in the system along with straight anti freeze.

All this being said unless I missed something is it OK to run waterwetter with antifreeze or is that only for straight water?

Don

Their website says it mixes with any brand/type of antifreeze.

Bobw, I sometimes get the premixed jugs, its nice when you're just topping off a radiator. When I'm filling an empty system the non premixed is OK but around here I can get two gallons of premixed for the same price as one gallon of straight antifreeze, so I guess it depends on where I'm at or what kinda mood I'm in to which I buy lol.

Latest posts

Back