'65 Rover Half Cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when RV's were clad in aluminum, the standard was .023. (As close to 22 ga. as damn is to swearing.) If you can find an "old" repair shop, they'll have it by the square mile, foot or inch.

I think the extra 1" looks better and this is why. It makes the side glass the same height as the windshield glass. The bottom of the windshield sits slightly higher than the bottom of the side glass. By chopping the side the extra 1" it makes it look the same. Make any sense? [P

That's what I was thinking as well, it would look better with equal heights.

What's the door structure like? Can you modify it to make the glass roll down? Maybe with a universal power mechanism?

Alternatively, you could keep the sliding mechanism and make a "quick release" for the door glass/frame to remove it entirely for that arm-out-the-window need?

I dug the roof out of the snow and set it in place at full height. If I don't change anything, the chop will be just 2". There's a big advantage in such a little chop. It appears I won't have to lengthen the roof front to back. The original overhang on the front edge will be eliminated. I wold build a custom exterior visor to cover that area. The visor will also hide the side glass-windshield height difference. And it would be a styling feature.
Definitely have to do something about the roof line above the drip rail.
Regarding the "arm out the window" requirement, thinking of making it easy to remove the side glass completely (as suggested above). Will probably use Plexiglass to keep it light.
Thanks for the tip on sheet aluminum, Dr. C.

Here's the full height top viewed from the rear. The back panel will be replaced or covered over to eliminate the quarter windows and create a more proportional rear window.
Considering Pontiac or Cadillac tail lights.

windows

l have drivin' several rigs with the back window like youre's and recommend leaving the quarter windows, maybe modify them a little but in traffic or on the freeway they are invaluable, l know, l can't count the times they saved my butt trying to change lanes.

we's gettin older and part of that is not seein' as good as we use'ta be seein':eek:,

l like the way the roof looks.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
I'll go out on a limb and say perhaps it needs more chop, I think the bubble top makes it look taller.
I'm tuned in to see where you go with it!

My $.02...

Keep the quarter windows

drop the roof the 2" to match the windshield and side windows

take another 1 1/2" - 2" out of the crown of the roof

fab in rounded edges in the rear window opening in the roof

Looks great! Carry on...[P

Well kiddies, here's a 2 inch chop. All the cutting and fitting is done. Need to rivet the top and bottom together (aluminum, and I don't weld the stuff).
To me it doesn't look chopped, but it looks reasonably in proportion. And I did gain the lowered windshield, which was the main purpose in this exercise.

That is one of my dream 4x4,s
I always wanted one.
Maybe someday.
Course I will go broke restoring it....

A rear pic with the quarter window blanked out and the rear window downsized. Contrary to the much appreciated suggestions. I'm such a rebel.

A rear pic with the quarter window blanked out and the rear window downsized. Contrary to the much appreciated suggestions. I'm such a rebel.

I like it. I would keep the square rear window as well, since no other glass on the truck has rounded edges.

I agree that it doesn't looked chopped, but it does look much better. I think it's an awesome customization, because a lot of people won't even know you did anything. The way it looks in those pics you could even leave the bubble look of the roof alone, or still remove some of the bubble look out of it if you wanted.

I still say find a flatter top. The original looks great from the rear, but plain silly from the front. If you find a donor roof, you can always go back to this one if it doesn't work out (if you cut this one up, your stuck)

I like the quarter windows either way. I think the rear window would look far better with small 1" radius curved corners.

I didn't have any good sheet metal so I made a test panel out of a rusty chunk of 20 gauge. With some minor adjustments I should be able to make some nice form fitting corner pieces.
Also completed the window frames on the doors.

Last edited:

Side view. Still wrestling with how to flatten the roof. Too cold to hit the junkyard for donors. I could make a cap with fiberglass but pretty time consuming and messy.

Latest posts

Back