1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay attention to the bag lines,, they don't like heat at all, don't ask how I know [S

For sure, they will be insulated or have heat shields in any hot spots. BTW, the lines in the pics are just temporary so I can lift it to get a jack under it.

I can't even imagine trying to fit the end of the lake pipe up with the hole in the hood side! I'd have to re-cut that badboy several times.

I made sure the lake pipe was in position before tacking the rest of the pipe to it, then put the hood side on again to be sure - I hate do-overs...

Just so I am understanding it correctly, the cutout allows some exhaust to come out the lake pipes, it does not block the other pathway.

Regarding the progress to date, nice work all around.

Are you planning to build another golf cart yet this summer and keep us in suspence on the Packard's finishing touches another whole year?

[P

Correct, they will be normally closed. It's not really a performance enhancement with that right angle detour from the collector forward, I just want to make a little noise to go with the flashy pipes. I'm thinking that the higher backpressure in the normal rear exiting muffled system will translate to a decent burble from the lake pipes..

Another golf cart, hmmm, don't give me ideas :rolleyes:
Only room for one project at a time and it's going to take 'till next summer to get this car done :(

Always finding new ways to raise the bar eh! :mad:
Just kiddin.
As usual you have a wonderful and innovative eye for style and design. I really enjoy following your builds. Thanks for sharing

Tacked the pipe together on the passenger side today, a few less pieces to fit together than on the other side. Almost looks like some kind of demented turbo plumbing...........[S

Attachments

• DSC00191.jpg
    DSC00191.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00192.jpg
    DSC00192.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 87
Question zz. Are you going to wrap those pipes?

Dunno yet, the idea is that they will only see occasional use for short periods :rolleyes::cool: so they shouldn't get smokin' hot anyways. I'm not a fan of the wrapped look, but once it gets to final assembly, I may wrap parts that are close to tender stuff.... The exposed pipes out the hood sides will get polished of course.

I like the idea, however I think it would look really cool to have an individual pipe look. Like 4 exits per side even though its all just one pipe...

Jet Hot coatings can be done on the inside and out for reducing temperature; they even do polished coatings.

Jet hot in and out is one of the most impressive things I've seen, you wouldn't believe how hot the exhaust gases are, but exhaust tubing temps are reduced dramatically

I like the idea, however I think it would look really cool to have an individual pipe look. Like 4 exits per side even though its all just one pipe...

I've seen some variations like this brown Packard coupe (don't think they're functional) and Chip Foose's 32 roadster - going for the P-51 look.
However, I gotta be me, it's just the design I had in my minds eye....

Attachments

• 0811rc_22_z+la_roadster_show+1937_packard.jpg
    0811rc_22_z+la_roadster_show+1937_packard.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 0805sr_02_z+chip_foose_p32+expanded_for_web.jpg
    0805sr_02_z+chip_foose_p32+expanded_for_web.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 89
  • p452870247-4.jpg
    p452870247-4.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 83
I've seen some variations like this brown Packard coupe (don't think they're functional) and Chip Foose's 32 roadster - going for the P-51 look.
However, I gotta be me, it's just the design I had in my minds eye....

And who your are seems to be damn good [cl

Been working on the fan shroud last couple days, finished it up today, lotsa fun making it fit in between those pipes. One more thing ticked off the to do list. :)

Attachments

• DSC00223.jpg
    DSC00223.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00224.jpg
    DSC00224.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00225.jpg
    DSC00225.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 93
Once again, a fantastic build. And you have a full time day job too, right?

Did you put the angled creases in the hood top with your bead roller?

Made the inner fender on the drivers side. Started with a cardboard pattern, louvers cut with a zip blade then I clamped a piece of 1x1" tube to the panel and hammered each one out with a block of wood. Not super fancy or perfect but they get the job done.

Attachments

• DSC00227.jpg
    DSC00227.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00229.jpg
    DSC00229.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC00230.jpg
    DSC00230.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 104
....... Not super fancy or perfect but they get the job done.

Boy you can sat that agian! :rolleyes: None of them match.....looks like they are all different sizes. [ddd

Very nice work ZZ! There are going to be so many things about this car that most folks will think are stock pieces.....even the old timers that consider themselves "Packard Guys" will scratch their heads on a few things I bet. :cool:

[P[P[P

Latest posts

Back