Hit the Motor City Swap Meet today...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtpontiac

Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'
once again, lots of overpriced items....did pick up some sanding supplies for the barn...got PSA 6" discs for cheap....a set of exhaust gaskets for the63 that hopefully will not leak....and some 1/8" drill bits....but there was fewer vendors there this year....10 bucks to get into this thing is a ripoff.....but I still go...[S

sgt . you were talking about exhaust gaskets . I have headers on mine and I've been putting the donut type gaskets on the flanges since the first set of headers I bought back in the mid. 80s Them paper gaskets last about a week or two for some reason.. But I asked the parts man for some to fit my flange , and he said he never heard of anyone doing this ,,, [S I though every one done it ???

I've seen guys use the donuts before....

sgt . you were talking about exhaust gaskets . I have headers on mine and I've been putting the donut type gaskets on the flanges since the first set of headers I bought back in the mid. 80s Them paper gaskets last about a week or two for some reason.. But I asked the parts man for some to fit my flange , and he said he never heard of anyone doing this ,,, [S I though every one done it ???

I'm running Ram air 4 type manifolds on my Pontiac..not headers..(Ramair Restorations brand)..they got the 2 1/2 inch bell flare type....I pulled them off to redo them as that crap high temp vht burned off.....I've got hi temp powder coat I'm going to try...I stopped at a booth that had what looked like graphite type gaskets..but the guy had a torch and heated them to red hot and they didn't flinch under the heat...says they'll take 2000 degrees...I had felpro on and they already looked burned after 400 miles....I've never used donut gaskets in headers before...but would think it would be hard to find ones that fit the 3" or bigger ones..started using the thick aluminum / copper gaskets and they worked pretty well also....but as we all know..headers are a pain in the butt to keep sealed....ultimately they start to leak...

sorry was thinking faster than I could type...

there was a booth at the Swap meet....it was an ontario company...Soupy's Gaskets or something like that.....Pontiac's normally use a soft metal type exhaust gasket...felpro was recommended but after seeing what they looked like after such a short time, I'd say they are not any good....they looked more like a header gasket than a manifold gasket..but were supposed to fit....The cast manifold work well on the motor....I think it breaths about as good as a mid priced header but if you've ever tried to find headers for a 63 B body...forgot it....Dougs has / had them for 600 bucks un coated....coated added 250 more...and then I still needed to buy a relocation kit for the oil filter...with the manifold, no muss or fuss...clear the frame, filter adapter and motor mounts...:D

I havnt paid attention to what size the flange is , but he got a collector from the shelf and found one right off the bat , but had to dig in a few more box's to find me one more ,, but Im ready to go now . I like the donuts because it dont have to be perfect to seal off .

Latest posts

Back