Barn demo, what are these?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

I'm tearing this old barn down and found these wooden spear pieces. Anybody have any idea what they was used for? They was stored with a 4"x6" post that had a steel tractor style seat mounted on it.

They are roughly 8' long and appear to be warn very smooth like they constantly had something wearing on them sanding them down.

My dad put one on an old stripped down 53 International pickup when I was a kid and I ran it. He flipped the rear end so the jalopy went backwards, thus the engine was in the rear. I finally blew it up from hotrodding it too much.
It brought hay into a contraption like this, called an overshot. We pulled it with a little case tractor, not horses.

http://glencoeprogress.info/images/farm.18.JPG

There was one at the farm I used to work for. Not used, just rotting away in the bottom of an old falling down barn we used for storage. Interesting how things were done vs how they are done now.

Wow, never seen anything like that around here. I guess farms in the midwest were so much larger they had to have larger equipment than was used here in the south.

Cool barn ... hate to see them come down ....

This one was to far gone to be saved unfortunately. Both of the front corner post where rotted away. Along with the one above the doors and two in the loft. I am saving as much as the material as I can off of it tho. We ( 2 guys) have worked on it for three days now and it's down to just the skeleton. Saved about 60% of the siding, 80% of the loft planks, 30% of the rafters with a dove tail cut on them, and 90% of the floor joices. I plan on building a cabin with the recycled lumber near a pond that I built for my inlaws. I will have a few pics shortly.

Here's a few pics in various stages of demo.

It's currently just the skeleton standing. All the roofing and rafters are down.

Latest posts

Back