gasoline prices!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod preacher

"Official RRR Chaplain"
well i knew that i was being watched, i was afraid they were listening in on my conversations, but the government actually proved involvement in a conspiracy with the oil companies by raising gas prices as i contemplate building a bigger - inch motor for my rat....one that would drink gas and haul donkey (he he)

it has jumped about 10 cents/gal steadily recently and to my dismay, but not surprised up 10 cents again last nite..... now the watered down, ethanol mixed lame stuff they pass off as 87 octane is 3.35 ......

yeah hot rodders our hotrods will last longer now! (since we won't be able to afford the gas for them!:eek:)

no 3.35 won't stop me from cruising the old truck this spring, but it might shorten the trips!:(

THIS IS A RANT: This is only a rant, any offense from this thread should be directed towards all of those who hold our gasoline as a bargaining chip in the "global community" this is only a rant:rolleyes:

1st let me say... I use premium gas in my Chevelle. When I turned my car off at the gas station a couple of weeks ago it dieseled & the guy next to me asked why it did that. Simple... although gas companies claim premium is 93 octane here... that is total BS. I can fill up with some brands... no dieseling... others... dieseling every time! We pay a premium price & are fed crappy gas & that's a fact!!!

BoB

It has been climbing this side of the boarder too... although we have jumped over 10 cents per litre so a little more then 40 cents a gallon already. Weird how when 2-5% of the oil producers are in trouble the price jumps as quickly as it does (then never comes back down to where it began), but if it were 2-5% of the toilet paper suppliers in trouble you wouldnt be paying these same price hikes to wipe your butt.

I'm just curious to see their profit reports come the end of the year... yet another year of record setting profits? Read an article a year or so ago (and can't recall what oil company it was off the tip of my head) that said company had recorded the highest profits of any company in history for two or three quarters in a row.

This is a bit long but great info..... Seriously, sit down....

Subject: OIL - you better sit down.

OIL - you better sit down. ...

Here's an interesting read, important and verifiable information :

About 6 months ago, the writer was watching a news program on oil and
one of the Forbes Bros. was the guest. The host said to Forbes, "I am going to ask you a direct question and I would like a direct answer; how much oil
does the U.S. have in the ground?" Forbes did not miss a beat, he said, "more
than all the Middle East put together." Please read below.

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April 2008 that only
scientists and oil men knew was coming, but man was it big. It was a
revised report (hadn't been updated since 1995) on how much oil was in
this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota, western South Dakota, and
extreme eastern Montana ...... check THIS out:

http://bakkenshale..net/bakkenshalemap.html

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska's Prudhoe
Bay, and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign
oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion
barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel,
we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5..3 trillion.

"When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see
their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea.." says Terry Johnson, the Montana
Legislature's financial analyst.

"This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found
in the past 56 years," reports The Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a
formation known as the Williston Basin, but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' It stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and
into Canada.. For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead
end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells
decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up
the Bakken's massive reserves.... and we now have access of up to 500
billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels
will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!
That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years
straight. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one
should - because it's from 2006! U. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World

Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the
largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION
barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In
three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this
motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders,
than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates:

- 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia

- 18-times as much oil as Iraq

- 21-times as much oil as Kuwait

- 22-times as much oil as Iran

- 500-times as much oil as Yemen

- and it's all right here in the Western United States .

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the
environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America
become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of
people dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?
James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in
this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION
barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in
the world today, reports The Denver Post.
Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think
again!
It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just
might be funding the environmentalists?
Got your attention yet? Now, while you're thinking about it, do this:
Pass this along. If you don't take a little time to do this, then you
should stifle yourself the next time you complain about gas prices - by
doing NOTHING, you forfeit your right to complain.

Now I just wonder what would happen in this country if every one of you
sent this to every one in your address book.

By the way...this is all true. Check it out at the link below!!!

GOOGLE it, or follow this link. It will blow your mind.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911:mad::mad::mad:

While there are many factors at play in the oil industry , I have to think that because we cant build new refineries or drill for oil that is under the soil of America is a big factor in the final pricing . Drilling and processing our own crude would sure put a lot of Americans too work .

Drilling and processing our own crude would sure put a lot of Americans too work .

but we might crush a flower or upset a tree hugger!!!

actually that was dripping in sarcasm but you may have missed it in the type-set....
i honestly agree, but believe the ones in charge aren't as concerned with the facts as "political correctness"

HRP.... surely you would not be sarcastic??

but we might crush a flower or upset a tree hugger!!!

actually that was dripping in sarcasm but you may have missed it in the type-set....
i honestly agree, but believe the ones in charge aren't as concerned with the facts as "political correctness"

Plain and simple, the oil industry is making way too much money to change now and we simply keep biting the bullet.......:mad:

Plain and simple, the oil industry is making way too much money to change now and we simply keep biting the bullet.......:mad:

The public consumer is biting the bullet. I have been hearing about the" large" oil deposits under Yellowstone, but due to regulations we can't touch it..... hopefully our elected officials will get off their duff and change the laws to possibly benefit the public, US!!!!..cr

My daily driver runs on premium and it just hit $ 3.69-$ 3.89 a gallon here. Regular is now $ 3.49-$3.59. Bet a lot of pickups and suv's start going real cheap soon. :(

Don

My daily driver runs on premium and it just hit $ 3.69-$ 3.89 a gallon here. Regular is now $ 3.49-$3.59. Bet a lot of pickups and suv's start going real cheap soon. :(

Don

Again!!!:confused:...how much do you think it will top off at this time?:eek:.cr

Gentlemen before I post my blasphemy and get branded a heretic by the rank & file, let me tell you I've never owned a carbon fouled engine in my life, if you google "Drive it like you stole it" you'll find my picture, my blood type is 10w40.

The only answer to our national addiction to oil is this: http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/technology/motor

Before you get the rope. Concider about 120 years ago many our grandfathers
were having the same discussion about hay power vs. gas power.

Most of us realize that the tech has been here for years to go electric with HP. Finnally it's become availible.

***Will that electric motor every look as cool as a Blown flathead?....NO!.
***Will the whine of an elecrtic motor ever make you soul rock like straight pipes?....NO!
***Will an electric motor produce up to 295 lbs-ft of torque and 288 horsepower are produced as the car smoothly accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds....YES it will TODAY!!!

I'd offer instead of wasting resources to drill domestically for short term answers we should be improving infrestructure, building electric charging stations and moving into the future.

As much as I know I'll miss the smell of exhaust gas.....I'm more upset that we don't have Flying cars like the Jestons by now!

I'd offer instead of wasting resources to drill domestically for short term answers we should be improving infrestructure, building electric charging stations and moving into the future.

Sounds simple, but where is all that electricity going to come from?? The whole world runs on oil and it won't change soon. Don't forget there would be no plastics without it ! For that matter, what is going to power the factories to make those electric motors, mine the copper for the motor windings - the list goes on. You can't just turn off the taps and put a windmill in everyones backyard overnight.
Not saying it won't happen down the road, but the fact is we are more dependent on oil than we think.

Ahh, the prices - when I left Canada for Yuma Az two months ago, I paid $1.19 per litre for diesel. Today I paid $3.79 a gallon for diesel in Yuma - that works out to $1.00 a litre, so it's still cheap here to me... Dreading to find out what it is at home now ! :eek:

Sounds simple, but where is all that electricity going to come from?? The whole world runs on oil and it won't change soon. Don't forget there would be no plastics without it ! For that matter, what is going to power the factories to make those electric motors, mine the copper for the motor windings - the list goes on. You can't just turn off the taps and put a windmill in everyones backyard overnight.
Not saying it won't happen down the road, but the fact is we are more dependent on oil than we think.

Ahh, the prices - when I left Canada for Yuma Az two months ago, I paid $1.19 per litre for diesel. Today I paid $3.79 a gallon for diesel in Yuma - that works out to $1.00 a litre, so it's still cheap here to me... Dreading to find out what it is at home now ! :eek:

just to point something out though --- the united states accounts for MORE than 25 % of the world's consumption of oil -- ONE COUNTRY accounts for more than 1/4 of the total world's annual oil use.... a country that has enough oil within it to become 100% self sufficient in the oil department for 2000 years? --and yet we turn to other countries for oil while we produce something around 15% of the worlds oil? while unemployment staggers so low and the nation becomes less and less accepting on our wars bc of oil -- yet he we are -- on the toes of a depression with gas prices rising looking for more wars to join and countries to liberate -

my parents made one thing clear to me -- you have to learn to take care of yourself before you can expect to take care of anyone else... and this is what (in my eyes) needs to happen here in the US... sorry... just a little upset with our current status quo.

Again same conversation 120 years ago.

I'm not suggesting anything more than putting more effort into getting into new enegry tec. The avances in Robotics, Millitary weapons systems, Medicine are just mind boggling. This 3 year old PC has more memory than N.O.R.A.D had in the 60's. Yet we are still burning oil? Honestly, does that really make sence?

Google up what Germany* has done with solar, and they have on of the more overcast/cloudy countries in Europe.

Looking for a Stock tip? Waste Management is doing research on using garbage for fuel.

IMHO - Electric is just the gateway energy source before we use Hydrogen.

* http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/04/AR2007050402466.html

BTW - Are you aware that the US buys most of it's oil from....Canada. (About 45%)

BTW - Are you aware that the US buys most of it's oil from....Canada. (About 45%)

Yep, and the irony is we pay more for gas in Canada.:(

I totally agree, we have the tech to do things differently but the flesh is weak.

If the advocates of hay power had won the day, we would be living in a very different world.....

Paying up to $1.16 a litre here as I watch the trucks go by heading south where it's still cheaper.
$1.90 a litre in good ole England and that's only because the exchange rate is as it is,would normally be around $2.30.

Latest posts

Back