been busy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First let me say I was not naming who said what to me cuz it was done via PM (not that it matters). Second, as far as the perch goes the reason I don't want to disturb it is it was tig welded on by someone else and it looks very well done. I trust my welding but I am not a professional by any means and I only own a mig so I prefer not to disturb it. OK, so the problem is the bend in the bolts? If I plate it and use 4 Grade 8 bolts will that make it any safer.............say to pass your guys grade for safety? So, LFE are you sayin you would not trust my chassis to drive across a parking lot? I'm trying to build it safely but still have a certain look (as in true suicide/no frame horn look)..............I dont care about getting it too low (just low enough) because I think those rides are useless for a driver and number one is comfort cuz if it aint comfortable to drive then its goin bye bye. I'm trying to listen to you guiys but also tryin to make you see my point of view.

i know i had seen it done like this before
and on my stuff ....if its already welded by a pro i dont mess with it im no pro welder myself

but here is a picture i found

Attachments

• HPIM0234__Large_.JPG
    HPIM0234__Large_.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 77
i know i had seen it done like this before
and on my stuff ....if its already welded by a pro i dont mess with it im no pro welder myself

but here is a picture i found

Thanks MOTO.................thats kinda hot actually................would there be anything wrong with leaving the bolt pattern as is..............not a big deal to redrill but just wondering

Thanks MOTO.................thats kinda hot actually................would there be anything wrong with leaving the bolt pattern as is..............not a big deal to redrill but just wondering

if it was me id square up the bolts...the leaf spring is gonna apply pressure the the end of the plate and id want the bolts the same distance from the edge of the plate(its hard to explane)

Welds that look good

My youngest son learned to weld on a big gasoline pipe job. He was taught by some masters but he is still learning so on major welds he tacks em up and we take our stuff to a pro welder with a big welding rig and get it done right A good welder can do a lot of welding for 70 dollars (thats his hourly rate). The welders on the pipe job were real pipe liners , the best of the best and all their joints which looked beautiful , were x rayed ( it was a Govt air base job) If you take that perch off and reposition it and tack it up ,it wont take a pro 5 min to weld it. might even do it for free. It will also let you establish a rapor with a guy you will certinally have to call upon a few times during your build. And I was NOT refering to your build as one I would not ride in . Your frame looks a whole lot better than a lot I have seen Nobody flames anyone here just some well intended advice.LFE PS some one posted a pic of ratzilla on a Fiero board and one of the guys pointed out that my rear strut perches didnt look strong enough and sugested a change. I made the change and it still bent so we changed it again using thicker metal,it bent again and we now have 1/2 in steel that so far hasent bent,all the while all our welds looked good but the design was flawed, trial and error is what inventing is all about.

Last edited:
Found a few pics that illistrate my point First pic is the first strut perch and other one is what we wound up with. there are stresses and strains that we cant measure with out the proper equipment so it pays to "overbuild" just in case your life depends on it

Attachments

• DSCN2436.jpg
    DSCN2436.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2675.jpg
    DSCN2675.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 57
Got some more work done.............next on the agenda is fix a couple clearance issues as I lowered the rear down about 2 more inches and now hairpins hit a couple body braces (no biggie) and relocate the track bar and the build body mounts and seat framing and cowl mount steering.

Latest posts

Back