Loner?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnysplymouth

Do any of you feel like a loner in the ratrod/hotrod/car builder world? I have family and some friends but every minute I spend on my cars I spend alone. Not feeling sorry for myself just wondering if there are others like this. It just seems no one around me (OR IN THIS AREA FOR THAT MATTER) has an interest in it.

Well, my dad and brother are around the shop and all three of us talk about or work on the cars. I have a friend or 2 that is into it but not many and I don't see them often. But there are stretches of time when I'm on my own out there. It actually doesn't bother me at all. Plus I can always jump on here and talk to a few hundred of my hot rod buddies.

I am in the same boat.I got nobody.I got a couple of customers that are into it.But I only see them when I am working or hook up at the shows.But as far as the work goes I am always by myself.When I need some heavy lifters.I just go and grab a neighbor.I would not sweat it.I kind of like working alone.When I got the door open.I just about always have a neighbor stop by when coming down the street just to see where I am at with a project.Thats just about it.Keep your head up.People will be all over your car at the shows.Oh and where are you?

I've always had to work on my cars myself. My youngest brother is mentally handicapped but he likes to watch me working on cars. Hes a big help when it comes to heavy lifting. Unfortunately, I now live about 50 miles away from him so now I'm on my own.

I actually hate working on my car but I love to help people working on their cars. Something about my car running and theirs is not.......:D:D:D

A little slow around here too. The Rock Crawling world is pretty active, and I have a lot of friends in that area. But when I built mine most of them wanted to know what transfercase I was going to run in it. I have a friend who is trying to build a rod, and that will help, when he is up and running, but his progress is very slow, if at all.
The rat rod scene in this area is mostly young kids with 60's pickups with wicked chops. I am really not into the lifestyle stuff, more into the cars. Even on the Killbilly locator, I was IT in my area.
Good thing my kid is coming of age. We spend some time in the shop now.

I read these threads about how A buddy came over and we did this and that to my car OR I went to so and so's house and we did this or that to his car and I think thats pretty cool but not that way round here...........I had a friend into it and I'd go to his house but felt like I was in his way or keeping him from working on his ride even though I would have been willing to help him he just wanted to do it himself.................I dont necessarily want help but just be cool to have someone around to shoot the bull or bounce ideas off ya know? I am seriously thinking of relocating when kids are all over 18 (bout three more years) and moving to a more car oriented area would be nice.

I dont know if Spokane is near you.But there are alot of rod guys in that area and in Washington.

1-800-WAA-AAAA
I'm usually alone in the garage too. :D Really not a problem though. I get more work done that way, and most don't understand my vision anyway.

I think that's cause I'm a freakin genius........ did I spell that right ?? :rolleyes:

Yeah good help is hard to find and free help isn't usually very good. I have a couple friends that help me move stuff but none of them are really interested. They just kind of look at me like I'm crazy for liking old junk. *shrug*

i live in the florida keys, thats about 150 miles of islands conected by 52 bridges. we have one road and no rodders. my closest hot rod friend is in Pompano Beach, Fl, two hours away on a good day. i have built all of my cars alone. when i move to georgia i would like to start a "working" car club. i know that if i was in Pompano Beach we would have his 34 coupe running and if he was here my 28 coupe would be done.

A loner not really. But it works out that way most of the time.O'well at least when i'm by my self I win all the arguments. My wife ask me if I was talking to myself again I said no listening. Really if I’ve got heavy work theirs always someone to call. Most of them are bikers or jeepers but they will help. I like working alone seems I get more done. But its 27 degrees in the garage this morning hope it hits 40 by noon so I can get a few hours in. You know cut,weld,grind.

Know the feeling well Ron! I actually am a loner for the most part and it is the lack of connections for finding good deals that affects me the most.:)

ICONATOR_e873f4ff14658aae798562cdea.jpg

didn't mean to sound like a whiner

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you where a whiner. I was mearly making fun of the situation and poking fun at myself too. It is nice when you have company in the shop, but it's not the end all be all. The build is the thing.;)

I agree, I have built rigs with partners. Sometimes that works good, sometimes it does'nt. But when you build one by yourself, there is a little less arguing, most of the time. And you get to do things your way. Plus it is fun to have friends stop by to see your progress.

I spend HOURS doing a stained glass panel ... show it off to someone ... and sometimes get a one-word responce - [B said:
nice[/B] ...
by the tone of their nice ? ... they might as well have said " So What "

I get that sometimes, but it is ususally people who have no concept of what goes into a project like that. They couldn't make something with their own two hands except mistakes. These are usually people who don't know where steak comes from.:D

i like workin on my car alone. nobody to say the radio is to loud. it's cold in here, or any other complaint. besides i get away from the kids for a little bit. to gather my nerves n stuff. i have found u just get more done alone.

You've got a hobby in your heart ( * any hobby ) ... When you're smitten ? ... It's sometimes hard to imagine and understand how others around you aren't head-over-heels too.

* I spend HOURS doing a stained glass panel ... show it off to someone ... and sometimes get a one-word responce - nice ...
by the tone of their nice ? ... they might as well have said " So What "

You totally nailed it.............thats pretty much what I was saying

Its true bout getting more done and my dad or brother or cousin (maybe cousin LOL) will come help with heavy stuff or even the wife if i ask them.............I think its this damn weather thats got me down......LOL

Latest posts

Back